Sign in to follow this  
Andre3000

Upgrading e30 Booster & MC

I am looking at replacing the e30 booster for a golf mkII's. Also want to upgrade the e30 MC as I've upgraded the brake calipers. The Brembo's are off a 2003 sti which has a 26.9mm piston bore. The e30 MC has a 22mm bore diameter. I'm thinking of replacing it with an e32 master cylinder which has a 25mm bore.

Has anyone done this before, or can offer any thoughts on master cylinder upgrade?

been there done that by using the MC from a e38 27mm with average success then put a wilwood bias adjuster for the rear and was a lot better but still not what i wanted, now building a pedal box to replace the booster.

The e38 sounds alot betterer with 27mm, matches sti perfectly. Apart from T'ing the front lines from the e38 MC in an e30 did you encounter any other difficulties? I will order my bias valve now as it seems I'm definitely going to need it.

Posted Image

Edited by André3000

i had to make an adaptor to fit it to the MC all the fittings are the same cardwells have the valves

i had to make an adaptor to fit it to the MC all the fittings are the same cardwells have the valves

So the e38 doesn't bolt onto the e30 booster?

I use a audi 25mm one. Fits my golf mkii uk 1.3 booster perfect. Check out the operation weapons grade thread for photos etc. works great.

My break bias was perfect however I used a bias adjust for the track as when fuel got below 1/2 and maximum braking the rears would pinch.

Running 332mm front and 315mm rears.

Took a mate down the north/west motor way for a brake test with new pads and rotors, nearly put us through the windscreen with its stopping power :D

I was looking at the power assisted e46 setup for while there but I think it would be overkill for an e30

forgot to meantion my brakes are off a GT4 Porsche cup car

Cheers Josh, I have 330s on the front too, so the e32/m3 MC is looking suitable, what front calipers are you using?

Whats the fronts piston bores and how many per caliper?

Has anyone done a booster delete and can comment on the results?

Also what are peoples opinions of the URO master cylinder?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-1987-1988-BMW...=item56480b9d01

I'm looking for a second hand e32 (1987-88) master cylinder. Please pm me if you have one for sale.

Lots of people have done it but I wouldnt recommend it for a road car, basically because you really loose the light to mid modulation. You can offset it by putting softer pad/disc combo.

Any reason youve gone away from the golf booster idea ? youre more than welcome to come over and take a look at my setup if you want to measure things. Can help you with relocation brackets too.

Not saying its the only way, but I can show you real world what it feels like. You can make your mind up from there.

Lots of people have done it but I wouldnt recommend it for a road car, basically because you really loose the light to mid modulation. You can offset it by putting softer pad/disc combo.

Any reason youve gone away from the golf booster idea ? youre more than welcome to come over and take a look at my setup if you want to measure things. Can help you with relocation brackets too.

Not saying its the only way, but I can show you real world what it feels like. You can make your mind up from there.

Might have to take you up on that offer, will be sorting the brakes finally once I know how the car is under its current setup. Assuming the 1986 e32 MC bolts onto the golf booster I will probably go there.

im building a pedal box to bottle onto the firewall same as the booster using a balance bar and two wilwood cylinders im running the e38 master and sick of inconstant brakes.

Wilwood SL-6 .. 6 pot

The Wilwoods I put on my car didn't even last one season. The pistons were crazed to hell on the bottom 1/3 and the bores were also badly scored. I took it back to where I bought them and basically the guy said this was normal even though I told him the the brakes locked on. I contacted Wilwood and they offered me a discount on a new set. I run XYZ brakes now. Enough said.

What model calipers did you use? it doesnt sound right to me.

I had a problem with shimming which I found out the hard way by warping a set of rotors. A lot of people bag wilwood. I think a lot of it is because of lack of attention to detail on the install. Setting your caliper depths and side shimming correctly.

One thing I did find better is going to a performance friction pad.

Are you using them on all four corners Steve??

I'm running a full set of 911 C4 calipers (next size down from the older GT3 4pots).

I did run the 750 25mm MC, but was a bit to rear biased, wilwood prop.valve fixed that.

Run Pagid RS4-4 (orange) race pads.

Have a Tilton floor mounted pedal box sitting in the cupboard now.

Edited by E30-323ti

Are you using them on all four corners Steve??

I'm running a full set of 911 C4 calipers (next size down from the older GT3 4pots).

I did run the 750 25mm MC, but was a bit to rear biased, wilwood prop.valve fixed that.

Run Pagid RS4-4 (orange) race pads.

Have a Tilton floor mounted pedal box sitting in the cupboard now.

just the front at the mo the disc's are 360x32 yet to do the back and will when ive done the m5 rear end and sub frame etc rather than do things twice, it stops well but not as i would like it thus the pedal box is next