Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

AMI insurance

A truck crashed into my (parked) old car and wrote it off while we were insured with AMI. We were paid out for the car of course, but it was nowhere near covering the other costs we had to pay because of the crash so we tried for compensation costs.

Rather than looking into the situation and talking to the truck driver's insurance company, AMI made excuses like "it was a narrow road", as if they were defending the truck driver. Bullshit - hundreds of trucks go along the road daily without a single accident. The truck driver had been careless and we should have had some form of compensation. As far as I know he was fired because of the crash but we got nothing but the very minimum payout.

Needless to say we're with AA insurance with my new car.

So... did you have insurance cover for other expenses (I assume you mean rental cars etc)? I assume not, otherwise it would have been paid. Why they would pay for something YOU didn't have covered???

You'll find AA will do the exact same thing.

As to that compensation thing, no automotive insurances provide cover for consequential costs (whether to the insured or in the form of liability). Meaning the truck's insurance company wouldn't have paid out, so you would have had to chase the driver independently and it is highly likely to have provided any beneficial result after many months of wrangling, so they just saved you time and effort.

Exactly.

So... did you have insurance cover for other expenses (I assume you mean rental cars etc)? I assume not, otherwise it would have been paid. Why they would pay for something YOU didn't have covered???

You'll find AA will do the exact same thing.

We were just hoping due to it being a crash caused by complete idiocy and carelessness. I guess we knew it was unlikely but we tried.

It was more that AMI made excuses for the driver (not even their customer), trying to defend them which pissed us off.

it seems everyone has a story positive or negative.

I am with AMI. No other insurer would give me the agreed value policy with listed modifications I was after.

I had to get the car valued however I wasn't opposed to that.

Never had to claim but each year to do the ring around as ask other insurers to at least match AMI's cover.

None even come close.

We were just hoping due to it being a crash caused by complete idiocy and carelessness.

Most are though.

If you want a crap insurance company, try Lumley:

Tried to claim that this was 50/50 because the road is so narrow - I was driving the van and had stopped at impact (van is about 50mm from the bank on the other side of it) notice how the chics tyre marks (her right tyre: right side of photo, just in from the edge, about 1/4 of the way up) at the start of her skid are only about 1M from the edge of MY side of the road. Her skid marks are clearly in the centre two ruts, not the two on HER side of the road.

Because Lumleys are so useless, your hard earned/payed tax dollars had to pay the $3000 excess on my Govt department van! They claimed she was on her side of the road, and that the road was too narrow. EVEN at the point of impact she still had 1.2M of clear road on her left, but was taking the "racing line" through the corner.

I couldn't call the police to come out, as I had to drive both of us nearly 40 kms to get phone coverage (no houses either!). If you can, ALWAYS call the cops to an accident which is not your fault! I couldn't leave the van, as I had $50k of machinery and $65K of tools and testing equipment in it and this was in the Far North in a less than desirable area.

Fortunetly, her POS RAV4 was only insured 3rd party so she lost out!

Could I have been any closer to my side?

Posted Image

lol ... I love these ones ...

I was told by a friend once who was a 'loss adjuster' that if you have a case always threaten to take an insurance company to court. They will back out because the cost of the going to court and loosing is a lot more than loosing and paying out.

It takes a bit of work / diagrams and qouting of road codes etc. I did this in my dummer younger days when I didnt have insurance and was involved in a crash that wasn't my fault but it came down to a 50/50 interpratation of the road rules. They backed down when I said Ill see you in court.