Sign in to follow this  
KING_POM

E36 M50B20 no power? HELP?

Hey guys my brother has a 1994 e36 m50b20 that runs ok but is gutless as hell. its had a replacement motor out of a 97 e36 and is currently with vanos. As i have no idea what engine was in it from factory (other than it was an m5b20) im stumped as where to start looking. could it be that the original engine?electrical system is OBD1 and the engine is OBD2?

any help or where to start looking would be good.

I think they are naturally gutless...

Joking aside, if it's really bad, I'd start with a compression test, and go from there.

Or just get it taken to a reputable independent BMW garage.

I think they are naturally gutless...

Joking aside, if it's really bad, I'd start with a compression test, and go from there.

Or just get it taken to a reputable independent BMW garage.

yeh i realise that but it is more than usual and seems to run fine on a foggy and coldish day. it doesnt seem like compression after going over it a couple of times im pretty sure its electrical fault ie ign. timing or fuel supply issue. i'll keep hunting and post again tomorrow if i make any progress.

yeh i realise that but it is more than usual and seems to run fine on a foggy and coldish day. it doesnt seem like compression after going over it a couple of times im pretty sure its electrical fault ie ign. timing or fuel supply issue. i'll keep hunting and post again tomorrow if i make any progress.

I've found the problem the car left the factory withan M50B20 and now it has an M52B20 in it.

so next question is can i swap over the ECU and get away with that or is it a pull the engine out and put the correct one in?

I've found the problem the car left the factory withan M50B20 and now it has an M52B20 in it.

so next question is can i swap over the ECU and get away with that or is it a pull the engine out and put the correct one in?

m50b20 and m52b20 are the same type of power etc if they are both vanos type engines??

or is it a orginally a m50 no vanos car and they have fitted a vanos engine and not hooked it up etc???

still running on the old ecu or new ecu loom etc???

94 car should be a vanos type , whats your chasis number.

some pics of the engine and afm , ecu etc will help??

chasis number on the ecu ??

they do sometimes have faulty cam sensors , afm , vanos solniods etc

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

I had a similar problem. Worked ok from cold but once warm run rich and real gutless. Turned out to be temp sender for the ecu

m50b20 and m52b20 are the same type of power etc if they are both vanos type engines??

or is it a orginally a m50 no vanos car and they have fitted a vanos engine and not hooked it up etc???

still running on the old ecu or new ecu loom etc???

94 car should be a vanos type , whats your chasis number.

some pics of the engine and afm , ecu etc will help??

chasis number on the ecu ??

they do sometimes have faulty cam sensors , afm , vanos solniods etc

I've checked with coombs bmw and the car definately came out without vanos so was probably one of the last ones to come off production line without vanos.

The 'b52' has vanos so im guessing that the ecu could just be swapped to suit? although after closer inspection there is a whole heap of plugs that aren't going anywhere and also they have nothing to plug into..

I might just pull this engine out and start from scratch, I dont know what other dodgy crap the previous owner has done so might be the best option..

I had a similar problem. Worked ok from cold but once warm run rich and real gutless. Turned out to be temp sender for the ecu

Thanks for insight but this does it reguardless of engine temp. its just completely flat (power) after about 3-3500rpm. would make sence if the computer not operating the vanos as it would normally kick in about then?

I've checked with coombs bmw and the car definately came out without vanos so was probably one of the last ones to come off production line without vanos.

The 'b52' has vanos so im guessing that the ecu could just be swapped to suit? although after closer inspection there is a whole heap of plugs that aren't going anywhere and also they have nothing to plug into..

I might just pull this engine out and start from scratch, I dont know what other dodgy crap the previous owner has done so might be the best option..

ok then you could get a early m50 vanos loom ecu and afm to suit .

or fit a non vanos engine like you say , my mate has a m50b25 2.5l if you want a bit more power.

check the numbers on the ecu and which type of afm does it have??