Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Driveshaft

my driveshaft has some rubbing on it.....its not too bad, but doesnt look great either...its not deep (from the gearlever after crash)

the CSB rubber surround has torn...easy to replace?

failing that anyone got a 2nd hand DS? or could i use the front half of the auto one with the back 5spd half, or are they both different?

my driveshaft has some rubbing on it.....its not too bad, but doesnt look great either...its not deep (from the gearlever after crash)

the CSB rubber surround has torn...easy to replace?

failing that anyone got a 2nd hand DS? or could i use the front half of the auto one with the back 5spd half, or are they both different?

I think it all comes apart easily enough. Center bearings are expendy. You won't be able to use your pre-facelift center bearing, so see if you can use the rear half of your auto DS with the center bearing (although i can't remember where it all comes apart).

You may need to get it balanced as well since you are bastardising (sp?) two DSs. Don't want no annoying vibrations! eh :wacko:

sweet, will have a looksie when i get em both apart

balancing? haha i love wobbles!

You can keep your center bearing, it's just the housing that's different between preFL and FL. As Tane said, the rear shaft is universal, the front shafts are of different lengths for the different boxes.

Where does one go to get driveshafts balanced?

Try engineering firms. I gave a couple a call and they were quickly able to point me to the right place.

Where does one go to get driveshafts balanced?

Lincon Automatics, Motor Machinest.

Thats in Palmy tho ,

Plus 2 peice drive shafts cos more to get balenced, and also the average price for a 2 peice to be balenced is round about $120

cheers matt

Have done this mix 'n match quite a few times. Maybe have been lucky and not had a vibration problem with any.

Have always made sure that the universal joints retain the same alignment over the whole prop as it is easy to slightly misalign them due to the fine spline of the centre sliding joint. (Don't know how to better describe it though..can always drop in and show you what I mean if I am up in Akl).

My experience is that vibration is more often a result of the universals being shot, especially the rear one.. or the rubber "doughnut" falling to bits :bounce: Unfortunately most E30 props do not have servicable UJ's.

Have done this mix 'n match quite a few times. Maybe have been lucky and not had a vibration problem with any.

Have always made sure that the universal joints retain the same alignment over the whole prop as it is easy to slightly misalign them due to the fine spline of the centre sliding joint. (Don't know how to better describe it though..can always drop in and show you what I mean if I am up in Akl).

My experience is that vibration is more often a result of the universals being shot, especially the rear one.. or the rubber "doughnut" falling to bits :bounce: Unfortunately most E30 props do not have servicable UJ's.

Cheers. I still have my original shaft off the auto so I can at least have a play around but I know what you mean by the spline, when we put it together we weren't positive what the alignment phase should be.