Sign in to follow this  
Docile

claiming house & content insurance

ok so dogs running around the house and tripping on the power cord of my laptop while its on the dining table and having the dinning chair fall flat on the screen dont end up too well.

my business laptop wont start anymore. have claimed house and content on it but my question is. can i take out the Hard drive as IMO it is prudent to do so. as a financial adviser i have got a lot of client's sensitive private information in there. my brother told me i should. or will the insurance co. be bollocks about it and drag their feet or something.

also for those who have experience with claiming computers for insurance, will they attempt to repair it first or do a replacement payout? as i need my laptop asap for work.

laptop is about 3 years old. have not got the reciept anymore as ive just moved house but when i bought it it was 2 grand.

Edited by Docile

Take HDD out back up your sh*t then give it to them? Or just give them a call, Sometimes you can ask for the broken product back if they replace it.

The laptop in my experience has to be complete. Repair/Replacement will depend on how much it costs to repair i.e if it costs $200 to fix and the laptop is worth $500 they will repair it. If it's un-economical to repair i.e repairs are more than the machine is worth they will generally replace the laptop but then again some policies will only pay out what the laptop is worth.

At 3yrs old, I would have thought the value would have almost been written off the books (from a Business POV).

Can it even be claimed under your personal house & contents? being a 'business' asset.

Interested to hear what they do.

Just hang on to your old one, buy a cheap 20gb off Trademe and reinstall windows on it...

Boom!!

my laptop is an alienware m17x. its not just the data as well. i have upgrade it no expense spared. more ram, 2x 500gb SSDs in RAID. IM NOT GIVING MY SSDs TO INSURANCE GUY!! it was a personal laptop prior to being invest in my business. actually its not listed as a business asset of mine.

LED lighted keypad and mouse touch!!.. will prob just get some normal hdd somewhere. insurance guy coming tomorrow though :(

I'd discuss with the insurance company. they must have a policy around stuff like this. Especially with the new privacy laws.

Get yourself one of these http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecificati...x?ItemID=377073 and back your drives up to a larger one. Asked for the drives to be destroyed if the laptop is written off.

Quite a high end laptop so go for todays equav. if you have total replacement. Dell took over the brand.

BE CAREFUL!

If you say it is a business machine, but you try to claim on personal contents cover, you'll be out of pocket!

Business equipment is VERY unlikely to be covered on your personal cover! If you have specified business tools cover on your personal insurance, the payout will be based on it's depeciated value.

Buy a used HDD and bung in it. Format it and tell them you wiped it for security reasons if it's a personal machine you are claiming for. They aren't paying out for you SSD, and won't replace it with one either,so no loss to them. If they are going to take it with the drive in it, they need to replace it with the same, BUT could still be at depreciated value.

Don't try to be fraudulent either - it's a road to no more insurance! Also, if you're a financial advisor, you may have difficulties with licenses and certification in the future!

They have no right to your data, so worst case is you backup your info and give them the drives(and they pay for them/replace them)

yeah not being fraudulent or anything. its more of personal computer that i use for my business as well on the side. only business thing in there are excel files, emails, word docs, client files and pdf files. I dont see a need to have another laptop just for business when i can use my personal one. it has family, overseas travel pictures dating back up to a couple of years, videos and around 2 grand worth of itunes stuff and the normal stuff.

anyone a wizz on computers? i need to backup my stuff just in case. but the HDDs are in raid mode. how can i access it? will it work in an extrnal enclosure like normal? need to backup my outlook emails too.. gaahhh..

Edited by Docile

yeah not being fraudulent or anything. its more of personal computer that i use for my business as well on the side. only business thing in there are excel files, emails, word docs, client files and pdf files. I dont see a need to have another laptop just for business when i can use my personal one. it has family, overseas travel pictures dating back up to a couple of years, videos and around 2 grand worth of itunes stuff and the normal stuff.

anyone a wizz on computers? i need to backup my stuff just in case. but the HDDs are in raid mode. how can i access it? will it work in an extrnal enclosure like normal? need to backup my outlook emails too.. gaahhh..

depends on the raid type, Please say you do know?

probably not without putting the pair back in a working config setup exactly the same and even plugging them into a new motherboard is still extremely risky,

if you dont know the type of raid it was(probably either 1 or 0), then DON"T go sticking it in an enclosure ,you could damage the file structure,

if it was raid 1 which is just mirroring your lucky then you have 2 identical drives and either will be ok on there own

A broken screen shouldn't stop it booting you just need to plug in an external screen and access all the data

if its really broke and can't be booted please don't go playing with raid drives unless you know what your doing or youll be sorry,find an expert

Raid can be a PITA and should be backed up always

fingers crossed it was raid 1 mirrored

Edited by kwhelan

best bet is to talk to the insurance company and tell them you have very important files on there you need to be able to recover, they will have dealt with this before, many times

as mentioned in the post above, plug it into a tv or spare monitor, if it's just the screen then it'll work fine and you can back it all up

Take it to a computer shop that can assess it.

Make sure they are good.

They'll usually help you recover data.

I'd swap the drives back... 2x 512GB SSD's is probably worth 2-3k on their own :S

ok found 2 x 20gb :) do i need to reinstall windows on it or can i just plug it in formatted?

also. if they did give me a replacement payout. is it a cheque or a credit note? can i buy from any retail store in nz or they have specific shops only? i.e. noel leeming, harvey norman etc...

You say you need a high end PC and they dont sell them in stores so it will need to be bought online, So they would need to pay out cash.

Also print off a price of a new M17X so they know what they are looking at.

ok found 2 x 20gb :) do i need to reinstall windows on it or can i just plug it in formatted?

your scaring me.dont fiddle with it if you dont know what your doing,unless your prepared to lose all your exisiting data then play away

also. if they did give me a replacement payout. is it a cheque or a credit note? can i buy from any retail store in nz or they have specific shops only? i.e. noel leeming, harvey norman etc...

it all depends on the insurer and the policy lots just give you credit now at noel leemings for example,did you have it listed as a specific item on the policy with a value like you have to for high end cameras,jewelry etc

sounds like you should in future as most have a general limit and things of greater value have to be specified like musical instruments

bastard insurance guy didn't come. i even rescheduled my afternoon appointments so i could be at home when he calls !!! now gotta wait till monday. 48 hours call back my ass.

^ yeah i should list my laptop and other things with my policy. since its 3-4 grand.

my SDDs are in raid 0 btw.