Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

DTM History - The Golden Years

man why. why don't we still have a formula like this.

800kg min

4 cly non turbo

based on min 500 production cars

2wd

throw in

1400kg min

4 cly turbo

2wd

&

1650kg

4 cly turbo

4wd

not only do we get some cool racing but there's also some race proven limited edition road rockets for us to buy.

Just like the old days.

I think alot has to do with a cars popularity. The new 3 series for example in its road form would make a terrible touring car by todays standards. Its big and heavy.

Maybe if BMW used a 1 series and other manufactures used other similar sized cars. The 1 series isnt however their market focus and mass seller. The 3 series still holds that crown. I would say other car manufactures have the same issue.

Didn't even realise we still had a WTCC, no coverage here :(

Posted Image

I think alot has to do with a cars popularity. The new 3 series for example in its road form would make a terrible touring car by todays standards. Its big and heavy.

Maybe if BMW used a 1 series and other manufactures used other similar sized cars. The 1 series isnt however their market focus and mass seller. The 3 series still holds that crown. I would say other car manufactures have the same issue.

E90 320si

1170kg & 275hp

not too shabby considering the rule set they run too.

if you want to see pretty much an 'unlimited' version of the same chassis, you just need to look at the current E92 M3: DTM, ALMS, GT2 cars.

but somehow don't think you'll ever seen a 4pot screamer in one of them, no matter how nostalgic it may feel.

Didn't even realise we still had a WTCC, no coverage here :(

Posted Image

It's on Sky from time to time.

Not missing a lot, pretty average coverage and commentary, and some Spanish diesel thing keeps winning :P.

E90 320si

1170kg & 275hp

not too shabby considering the rule set they run too.

if you want to see pretty much an 'unlimited' version of the same chassis, you just need to look at the current E92 M3: DTM, ALMS, GT2 cars.

but somehow don't think you'll ever seen a 4pot screamer in one of them, no matter how nostalgic it may feel.

That design is 5+ years old, I'm talking more the newer series (FXX). Just keeps getting bigger and bigger. A 3 series is around the same size and weight as a 5 series of the same old era. 960Kg vs 1200kg My point was the small touring car of old is a thing of the past and car manufactures marketing goals dont match their smaller cars EG 1 series vs 3 series. I dont think we will see a 1 series in a WTCC for example and im sure its the same for other manufactures. WRC has the right idea, cept it's hatch backs.

However, the EU emmissions drive is pushing engine development to 4 pot turbos so there maybe hope yet!

newer season cap video of DTM

that vid is wicked good