Sign in to follow this  
slvrbmw

E39 phone

Hi guys. Is there a way to get the phone in a 1998 nz new e39 working? I have heard that they need an older style sim card. Alternatively may consider bluetooth upgrade. I have checked the bimmernav website and a recent posting here, but that was for a newer car. Has anyone upgraded the older style phone to bluetooth?

i was under the impression the phones are just GSM, thus a vodafone or 2degrees card would work?

I had one in an E38 i owned ten or so years ago, in the boot where the phone module thing is there is a slot to take a full size sim card. you need a new sim card , one that comes as a credit card with the sim inside and usually you would snap the little sim card out. pop it in and you good to call the 80's

I had one in an E38 i owned ten or so years ago, in the boot where the phone module thing is there is a slot to take a full size sim card. you need a new sim card , one that comes as a credit card with the sim inside and usually you would snap the little sim card out. pop it in and you good to call the 80's

Ive got one in my e39, the sim can go in the slot under the phone too, if you can find the outer plastic you can just stick in another sim, just put tape on the other side to hold it.

I bought a 2deg card, they come in the original big size.

Also it came with a nokia bluetooth module, links to the stereo and mic.

Only used it once, im a badass and just talk on my cellphone.

im a badass and just talk on my cellphone.

Just like everyone else :rolleyes:

:D

Just like everyone else :rolleyes:

:D

Yeah, however some people give you a dirty look, probably the same people that purposefully wont let you pass because the speed limit is 100 but speed up in passing lanes just so you cant pass.

Nothing a flat foot cant fix :ph34r:

Ive got one in my e39, the sim can go in the slot under the phone too, if you can find the outer plastic you can just stick in another sim, just put tape on the other side to hold it.

I bought a 2deg card, they come in the original big size.

Also it came with a nokia bluetooth module, links to the stereo and mic.

Only used it once, im a badass and just talk on my cellphone.

Have done this in mine as well.

Hi guys. Is there a way to get the phone in a 1998 nz new e39 working? I have heard that they need an older style sim card. Alternatively may consider bluetooth upgrade. I have checked the bimmernav website and a recent posting here, but that was for a newer car. Has anyone upgraded the older style phone to bluetooth?

Put a SIM card in and it works

Be aware:

The BMW phone systems are GSM only, and so only work with GSM operators (vodafone, 2 degrees)

The BMW phone systems are 900 MHz GSM only, and so you may find coverage not so good in some areas