Sign in to follow this  
efp0wa

New to Euros

Hey all,

I thought i'd join up to these forums for general discussion, tech help etc.

My name is George, I live in Nelson. Just swapped my S15 Nissan Silvia for something a bit more family orientated as the Silvia didn't meet my needs and rarely got driven. I now have a 2000 E46 318i Touring wagon.

I was very hesitant at first, never having owned a european car and the kms on the BMW are getting up there but it seems to be in great condition. Massive change from a 250HP Jap sports car to a measly 114HP (that is correct for the BMW isn't it)? Althought power isn't a issue, more so room and the comfort which the BMW does have. Any tips for squeezing a wee bit more power?

The car has a couple of issues, the lights for the mirrors on the sun visors don't work. The windows don't automatically go up or down (the button needs to be held). The other day when I first used the cruise control the throttle wouldn't repsond afterwards which was a worry but I sorted it out. But thats the only things I can fault so far, oh and the front brake rotors need replacing which I will do tomorrow.

Anyhow, here is a photo. Anybody know if these wheels are genuine?

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-...892240183_o.jpg

welcome.

I'm going so say not geniune BMW. Not on any BMW i know anyway. Still looks good tho!

Power increase is the same in any car.

Good service

Air filter

Exhaust

ECU re-flash

windows should be a double button....light push for manual control, push harder once (with the door closed) and it should automatically go up/down.

Edited by M5V8

welcome.

I'm going so say not geniune BMW. Not on any BMW i know anyway. Still looks good tho!

Power increase is the same in any car.

Good service

Air filter

Exhaust

ECU re-flash

windows should be a double button....light push for manual control, push harder once (with the door closed) and it should automatically go up/down.

Cheers, thought so for power increase.

Yes unfortuanly harder push of the double button doesnt make windows go up/down automatically.

The auto up/down can be programmed to work or not, dependant on which settings are laoded for that key. BMW or someone with the sftware can do it for you.

The auto up/down can be programmed to work or not, dependant on which settings are laoded for that key. BMW or someone with the sftware can do it for you.

Oh that makes sense and thats another thing I meant to mention in my first post.

The car only came with one key which is a hassel and saying that, the key is damaged the computer chip inside is missing and the buttons are munted. I checked with BMW parts here in Nelson yesterday and at a cost of $470 for a new key I need to save up. So I suppose as the key has no transponder certain things are not working correctly?

Oh that makes sense and thats another thing I meant to mention in my first post.

The car only came with one key which is a hassel and saying that, the key is damaged the computer chip inside is missing and the buttons are munted. I checked with BMW parts here in Nelson yesterday and at a cost of $470 for a new key I need to save up. So I suppose as the key has no transponder certain things are not working correctly?

The chip must still be in the key or the car wouldn't run, unless it has been removed & fitted in the column by the switch. The chip talks to the EWS to allow the car to start.

Munted key - a couple of other options

1: get a replacement blank key, get it cut to suit & transfer the internals - cheap option. I did this for one of our keys that had munted bttons. I got one in from the UK but I see someone now has them on TM

2: You don't have to get the full remote key, you can get a service key which has the chip but no remote function, from memory - less than half the price. You really need a spare anyway as without the correct chipped key - the car is usless - a 10 day delay from Germany.

The cars were originally supplied with 4 keys - two mains, a service & a valet - I got all 4

you may find that the lights on the mirrors will only work if the lights are on(at least he parking lights)

I checked with BMW parts here in Nelson yesterday and at a cost of $470 for a new key I need to save up.

Same key, WAY cheaper: Milland. Mine was under $320 (E39 diamond key). Genuine key, cut to your chassis number. You can get a non-remote one cheaper too - but you can keep your old one as a spare anyway.

There's a little procedure to program it to the car, but it's easy (check online, it took me 5 mins to do).

Edited by Allanw

I checked with BMW parts here in Nelson yesterday and at a cost of $470 for a new key I need to save up. So I suppose as the key has no transponder certain things are not working correctly?

I just bought a new key for my 2001 E46 and they quoted me the same price as you mention, but when it actually came in from germany, it was a bit cheaper at $433.

Just in case that makes a difference. :)