Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

E39 Angel Eye replacement

I know nothing about cars, headlights, auto electrics, etc but want to replace my existing halogen lights with a set of xenon and LED halos. I've been offered an HID conversion kit with install but I've heard that those aren't road legal so it could cost me my next WOF. Anyone had any experience of this?

Also, I've seen these on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/sch/cforcar/m.html?_nk...1.c0.m270.l1313 - they look perfect but I've no idea whether they will fit or whether further conversion is necessary to use xenon bulbs and the vendor's not that helpful.

I've got a '96 facelift 528i that has already had aftermarket halogen angel eyes installed. Here's a pic:

Posted Image

Edited by jeffbebe

Your headlights 'should' already be Xenon as you have the projector housing. (see project globes in the outer light)

The law is only around putting a xenon system into a car without the projector headlamp. Lots of people put them into reflector headlamps instead so there is no control of the light scatter or pattern. Hence why that method is illegal in the this country and rightly so.

You will be able to legally put them in your car however. You need to buy a HID ballast and bulb kit. You are probably looking for 6000k bulbs. I have done 8000k before and its too dim (and blue). Im just not sure of the connector type that would come out of the back of your headlights is all.

You might need to investigate your headlights some more on that one.

Usually theyre either Depo or Hella types.

Again, just replace the bulbs, you dont need a whole new headlight.

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Edited by jeffbebe

I had the same headlights as you with an aftermarket xenon kit installed and couldn't get a warrant as the 'projector' was not made for HID lamps apparently... just a warning. I also know next to nothing about auto electrics

Genuine E39 Hella Xenon groupbuy About NZ$700 + shipping (could easily be another $200)

I did a Halogen group buy, for $640 a pair, but the xenon were going to be 1800 a pair, including ballasts etc.

The link above is a better deal, even once shipping is covered (the boxes are BIG though!)

You'll get stung for GST and import duty etc though!

Edited by Allanw