Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

E46 Electrical issue

I've got a problem on our 320d where it's showing as a bulb at the rear is out on the dash yet it's functioning perfectly? Any ideas?

providing that you haven't change to led replacements check and clean the bulb connectors and spray the plug and socket with electrical cleaner. Had a similar thing happen.

And it is possible that the bulb is aging, reaching the end of its life, and the internal resistance is increasing

Try swapping it with the bulb from the other taillight, or fit a new one.

And it is possible that the bulb is aging, reaching the end of its life, and the internal resistance is increasing

Try swapping it with the bulb from the other taillight, or fit a new one.

+1

I had ongoing problems. One conncetor was a bit melted/deformed. I tidied that up, and STILL had intermittant warnings. I replaced all the brake bulbs, and the warning has stayed gone. Bulbs to age, and can start running super hot too.

After driving the 320d a few days myself this indicator issue is driving me insane, so I replaced all the bulbs and guess what, it's still doing it! Any more ideas chaps?

Thanks in advance.

It will be a corroded earth terminal in the plug. We remove the earth wire from the plug, add a liitle more wire to it and fit a female lucar terminal on it. Plug this dirrectly onto the earth circuit board. There should be provision for it. You will see the earth on the circuit... ring me if you don't understand this.

Edited by *Glenn*

Agree with Glenn; you have 4 or 5 bulbs in the tail light cluster, all separately fed. The earth return is the same size and capacity as any one other live feeds, but can be required to carry 4 - 6 times the load of any one of the others. This causes the earth to burn out. I just replace with a hard wired earth wire to by-pass the earth connection, solves all problems.

Hi Glenn, looks a bit corroded in there. Is the # 3 wire the earth? Looks as if it is mate, how about I cut the earth wire, shirink set a longer wire with a self tapping screw onto the earth on the board?

Cheers.

post-2864-1336017380.jpg

post-2864-1336017389.jpg

Yes & Yes... not all the circuit boards have a terminal. The car I have here doesn't... but your onto it.

Just check that yours is a brown wire on No3.. it should be

Edited by *Glenn*

Thanks mate, will give it a go!

Cheers, will let you know how I get on :)

Thanks mate, will give it a go!

Cheers, will let you know how I get on :)

Check my edit

Things didn't go too well Glenn, I've posted a before, middle and end photo's...

post-2864-1336019797.jpg

post-2864-1336019822.jpg

post-2864-1336019842.jpg

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Bahahahahaha!!!

Sorry mate, I couldn't resist. It's working perfectly now, drove around the block and just now into town without incident. I've put a before and after again lol.

post-2864-1336022330.jpg

post-2864-1336022366.jpg

So... when do I get the beer fridge and the Heinekin ???

When I'm finished with it lol, empty.

Thanks for your help mate.

Bahahahahaha!!!

Sorry mate, I couldn't resist. It's working perfectly now, drove around the block and just now into town without incident. I've put a before and after again lol.

For us ? how kind

Sorry to bring up a solved thread but what bits and pieces did you use exactly? I've gotta do this soon... it's just started to happen and I don't have a 'preset' mounting point like some of the DIY's I've seen around (my tail light cluster is like yours).

Sorry to bring up a solved thread but what bits and pieces did you use exactly? I've gotta do this soon... it's just started to happen and I don't have a 'preset' mounting point like some of the DIY's I've seen around (my tail light cluster is like yours).

A piece of wire, a terminal & a screw & a bloody scotch lock :o Best to solder the link wire if possible.

Or - a 5 min job for an Auto Sparky...

A piece of wire, a terminal & a screw & a bloody scotch lock :o Best to solder the link wire if possible.

Or - a 5 min job for an Auto Sparky...

Just did mine last night, worked like a charm!