Sign in to follow this  
Jibs05

Drive-shaft not fitting

I bought a manual conversion a while ago including everything.

have everything in except the drive shaft. it seems to be 10 to 15mm to big.

i have tried adjusting it and compressing it more but it still to long. (cleaned up the splines as best i could, crc degreaser, and then crc. dried it. put a little grease on it.)

is there something i'm missing? if the spline on the drive shaft has surface rust on it is it OK to clean with a wire brush? I've hit it with quite a big hammer to get it to where it is now.

PS is there an easier way to get the top bolt of the starter motor in? its a real pain in the neck. literally.

thanks in advance for your help. =)

Teng make a 3/8th drive 1/2 metre extension that when paired with another extension and a UJ make the top starter bolt doable. Also, with the engine and gearbox mounts unbolted jack the front of the motor up (use a block of wood to spread the load) to open the gap between the gearbox and the tunnel and make it easier.

Re. driveshaft, are you matching a G260 gearbox to a 260 driveshaft, or a 240 to a 240? Cause I'm pretty sure you need to as the 240 box is a little bit shorter than the 260. That could be your problem. Shortening and balancing will set you back $200-$250.

Edit for typos.

Edited by maxmax

also drivehshaft lengths vary if its from a small or medium case diff .

if from a small case diff car like a 316i 318i 320i and fitting to a car with a medium case diff like a 323i 325i and some 320i

the driveshaft will need to be shorter . or kit from a 4cyl fitting to a 6cyl will need to be shortend too

i dont think i explained properly,

there is still more spline left on the drive-shaft. about 20mm.

can it be pushed all the way flush or have i really got to get another drive shaft?

my gearbox is a 260 and my diff is small case.

also drivehshaft lengths vary if its from a small or medium case diff .

if from a small case diff car like a 316i 318i 320i and fitting to a car with a medium case diff like a 323i 325i and some 320i

the driveshaft will need to be shorter . or kit from a 4cyl fitting to a 6cyl will need to be shortend too

I would argue that point. I put a medium case 3.67 LSD from an E30 motorsport into my 320i which had a 4.45 factory. bolted right up, didnt need to change driveshaft, and surprisingly not the axels either. mind you, maybe i shortened the driveshaft inside its range of adjustment, i cant remember, I certainly didnt take it to a shop or swap driveshafts though

i dont think i explained properly,

there is still more spline left on the drive-shaft. about 20mm.

can it be pushed all the way flush or have i really got to get another drive shaft?

my gearbox is a 260 and my diff is small case.

did you loosen the ring nut thing you can see? its a 32mm from memory. back that off and then slide it together and then do it back up. its a tapered fit which squeezes the rear half onto the front half. ALL rear halfs of E30 driveshafts are the same, manual auto pfl fl 6cyl or 4cyl all the same.

if you cant get it together, try pulling the driveshaft apart and measuring how deep the hole on the back half is, and then measuring how long the spline on the front half is. that will tell you if its because your not pushing hard enough or it genuinely wont go in anymore. sounds dirty.

afaik there is a lot more difference than 10-15mm between the 3 most common E30 manual driveshafts (excl ZF manual and M10, i havent experience with those)

(Edit for spelling)

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

did you loosen the ring nut thing you can see? its a 32mm from memory. back that off and then slide it together and then do it back up. its a tapered fit which squeezes the rear half onto the front half. ALL rear halfs of E30 driveshafts are the same, manual auto pfl fl 6cyl or 4cyl all the same.

if you cant get it together, try pulling the driveshaft apart and measuring how deep the hole on the back half is, and then measuring how long the spline on the front half is. that will tell you if its because your not pushing hard enough or it genuinely wont go in anymore. sounds dirty.

afaik there is a lot more difference than 10-15mm between the 3 most common E30 manual driveshafts (excl ZF manual and M10, i havent experience with those)

(Edit for spelling)

You my friend deserve a drink.... dirty... ftw the little rubber thing inside was falling to pieces while i tried putting it on after cleaning it.. replaced it. Just like a bought one now.

Thanks for you help guys!!