Sign in to follow this  
slowe30

m50 loom for m52, why?

is there any reasons behind everyone converting there m52b28s to m50 looms and computers? im getting annoyed with the crapping running to start with and am considering swapping to a factory loom and computer. i know they are a hassle to set up but i would really love my car to run like factory, plus i want a challenge.

and are the obd2 m52 computers tunable to suit differant intakes, injectors and exhausts? if theres any major reasons why people change then i wont go ahead but would still like to find out details.

ps the engines in an e30 if it makes any differance

why is it running crappy? it was fine when i had it. are you sure its the ECU?

afaik was dyno tuned and remapped by kerry before i got it and he switched to ITBs, so it is essentially a mythical M50B28 ECU (ie the ecu IS aware of the extra 300cc unlike normal

there are two reasons people do it. the first and probably the main one is to get around EWS, there is no EWS on an M50B25 ECU if you get the right one, and, to my knowledge anyway, there is noone that can completely flash out EWS on the M52 ECU worldwide let alone NZ. there may be someone thats popped up in the past few years since i did my swap however

the other reason is that, in combination with the M50 intake and throttle body etc which is what your engine has, it frees up another 30 or so peak HP at the expence of a low down torque. this makes fanboys feel good, but really of little use on the road when your not driving around at 7000rpm anyway.

i guess what im saying is that if you go to a "standard" M50 ecu it will run but not as well as it could do, and with a standard M52 one is a real pain in the ass to wire up

if its running crappy , first check if everything is hooked up correctly

temp sensors the correct way around etc

vac leak , vac leak , vac leaks etc etc.

bad pcv valve .

bad maf (afm) (or dirty sensor from the oil on k&n filters)

faulty camshaft sensor etc

also, if you want to go back to M52B28 ecu, i have a complete ews kit with EWS transponders chip etc and the right ECU. in fact is actually the one that your exact engine left the factory with, was just keeping it for a rainy day but if you need one id fold

im aware of it being tuned and i have been going through everything being really nutty with it all. but i drive brand new car all day then get in it and the small issues are getting to me, and ive set my self the chellenge of getting it running as it would from factory, smooth flowing power utilising vanos and everything. also half of it is the fact that i want the vanos to work. but if i did get the m52 ecu setup going, is the computer tuneable? is the factory m52b28 computer tuneable. and the fact that the computer was tuned for a different engine with a differant cam setup and possible different injectors would disrupt the tune

i think i read hybrids (not sure if it was his, think it was tho) e30 with s5x is fully wired up with ews. and hellbm help him with it, if i get stuck hes only 20 mins up the road.

and andy is the computer that ran my engine from factory a factory manual? have found out you can never completely remove the issues that auto to manual swaps cause with e36 onwards computers. if it is factory manual, pm me

m52b28 seimans ecu's can be reflashed ,

or you have to desolder the main (postage stamp type surface mount) chip

and fit a plug in type if you want to do a live rolling round remap etc.

i will be doing mine at some stage soon. costs about an extra $100-200 to get the plug type chip fitted to the circuit board

the m50b25tu is a it bit easier as the bosch motronic ecu's have a plug in chip to start with.

my mate has a e34 525ix touring and we fitted a m52b28 engine into it and it runs perfectly fine on the std 2.5L bosch ecu setup , no issues at all ,

proforms quite a bit better than the std 525i engine setup

so not sure why you are having issues , best to get it checked out make sure you have all the correct parts fitted fro the bosch motronic setup and no vac leaks and every sensor is working correctly etc

maybe the 525ix touring would go a bit better if he got it remapped but we where pretty impressed with the proformance power and torque upgrade on the the standard 2.5L ecu setup

im aware of it being tuned and i have been going through everything being really nutty with it all. but i drive brand new car all day then get in it and the small issues are getting to me, and ive set my self the chellenge of getting it running as it would from factory, smooth flowing power utilising vanos and everything. also half of it is the fact that i want the vanos to work. but if i did get the m52 ecu setup going, is the computer tuneable? is the factory m52b28 computer tuneable. and the fact that the computer was tuned for a different engine with a differant cam setup and possible different injectors would disrupt the tune

i think i read hybrids (not sure if it was his, think it was tho) e30 with s5x is fully wired up with ews. and hellbm help him with it, if i get stuck hes only 20 mins up the road.

and andy is the computer that ran my engine from factory a factory manual? have found out you can never completely remove the issues that auto to manual swaps cause with e36 onwards computers. if it is factory manual, pm me

not sure to be honest, you could PM kerry. i am quite sure that it doesnt actually matter whether its auto or manual ecu, as its more or less just an input signal that tells the ecu if its a manual or an auto. everytime the ecu gets reset it "looks" for an auto transmission. that said, im not an expert on that topic and could be wrong, but thats my understanding.

m52b28 seimans ecu's can be reflashed ,

or you have to desolder the main (postage stamp type surface mount) chip

and fit a plug in type if you want to do a live rolling round remap etc.

i will be doing mine at some stage soon. costs about an extra $100-200 to get the plug type chip fitted to the circuit board

the m50b25tu is a it bit easier as the bosch motronic ecu's have a plug in chip to start with.

my mate has a e34 525ix touring and we fitted a m52b28 engine into it and it runs perfectly fine on the std 2.5L bosch ecu setup , no issues at all ,

proforms quite a bit better than the std 525i engine setup

so not sure why you are having issues , best to get it checked out make sure you have all the correct parts fitted fro the bosch motronic setup and no vac leaks and every sensor is working correctly etc

maybe the 525ix touring would go a bit better if he got it remapped but we where pretty impressed with the proformance power and torque upgrade on the the standard 2.5L ecu setup

must get him to take me for a ride when im up in a few weeks! was a nice car to drive with the M50 in it when i had it

ive read up about the auto/manual situation as i was interested about it, and it has some hiccups, nothing major tho. and i think the injectors and cams would be enough to cause the small problems i have, i think im just being a bit of a perfectionist with how the engine goes. the cars going to be fully completed before it comes back out and that is hope fully gonna be within the next 2.5 months. but engine running is comming first.

and those simmons m52b28 computers you talked of, how would i find one? what do they commonly come on?