Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

New suspension for the 540i

In the next few months i'm looking at getting some new shocks for my 540i and am wondering what the best set to go for is..

Currently it's running on what look to be H&R or Vogtland lowered springs (there is a slight rake where the front sits lower) The front shocks are either Koni of Bilstein, and the rears look to be standard non sport..

I have picked up some M-sport springs from an 01 540i, as I'm completely over being able to feel every bump/road imperfection through the steering wheel and seat, but am not going to install them until I choose some shocks. I'm wondering what shocks are best paired with these springs apart from the standard m-sport ones (they are too expensive) I'm leaning towards Bilstein HD's or the Bilstein Sports, but am not sure which will give me the more comfortable, yet somewhat sporty ride character. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Martin

In the next few months i'm looking at getting some new shocks for my 540i and am wondering what the best set to go for is..

Currently it's running on what look to be H&R or Vogtland lowered springs (there is a slight rake where the front sits lower) The front shocks are either Koni of Bilstein, and the rears look to be standard non sport..

I have picked up some M-sport springs from an 01 540i, as I'm completely over being able to feel every bump/road imperfection through the steering wheel and seat, but am not going to install them until I choose some shocks. I'm wondering what shocks are best paired with these springs apart from the standard m-sport ones (they are too expensive) I'm leaning towards Bilstein HD's or the Bilstein Sports, but am not sure which will give me the more comfortable, yet somewhat sporty ride character. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Martin

I got Sachs (oem) motorsport fronts from Paul at Milland.co.nz for our 6cylinder. I THINK they were about 275+gst??? Could be wrong though.

Be aware that E39's are known for bending the strut top hat, and mushrooming the shock towers - that could be the cuase of some of your rake - especially if the car is on harder springs. I fitted a 10mm spacer to lift the front of the car, and it came up 20mm, because of the bent parts I replaced.

Cheers,

Martin

billy HDs are for stock ride height and performance only. you want billy sports. afaik they are actually the same shock just valved differently

From the experience I had when I had a 540i sedan, changing the factory bushes etc makes the best improvement to handling. These cars are getting on and the rubber perishes etc. You can buy kits on EBay with all the parts together. Front and Rear or separately.

decent sway bars make a big diiference to these heavy cars.The major difference between msport and std is in the sway bars imho

The M-sport 540i's have slightly thicker sway bars (1mm thicker in the rear, and 0.5mm thicker in the front).

I have ordered a set of Bilstein HD's, after doing some research, they seem to work well with stock m-sport springs. At the same time, i'll be installing the m-sport sway bars I picked up. Hoping for the excellent balance between ride and handling the m-sport 540's have. The sturt tower on the passenger side is slightly mushroomed, will be sorting that out as well.

The sturt tower on the passenger side is slightly mushroomed, will be sorting that out as well.

I brought a cheapy strut brace to help reinforce the strut towers - Was $100 from a sponser on here... can't remeber who though :wacko: The metal plate just helps sandwich the tower in between the tophat, and gives it more strength. I was raising mine up a bit, so I have a 10mm aluminium plate under the tower also.

Buy new bumpstops too! If the tower is mushroomed, the bumpstops will be poked!, they're cheap enough, as are new boots.

Bump stops cheap? haha well for the rears they are about $40 each!! (the msport II suspension has its own unique bump stops, along with rear shock mounts.

Am doing the whole lot, (Springs, shocks, spring pads, pockets, bumpstops, strut mounts etc).

Will look at getting a front strut brace.

Bump stops cheap? haha well for the rears they are about $40 each!! (the msport II suspension has its own unique bump stops, along with rear shock mounts.

Am doing the whole lot, (Springs, shocks, spring pads, pockets, bumpstops, strut mounts etc).

Will look at getting a front strut brace.

I think mine were less, from Milland. $29??? Maybe?

It's cheap in the scheme of things ;) Certainly cheaper than other bits. If you're going to spent shitloads, you may as well go the whole hog and really get yourself in trouble.

My Mate recently upset his wife, because he spent on his 540i touring, what our 525i cost us to buy! :lol: He's not quite divorced :ph34r: