Sign in to follow this  
mossline

E39 540i radiator failure

Hi guys, I just wondered what my options are in NZ for a new radiator preferably an upgraded one rather than the OEM shite. Seems a waste of cash putting in another radiator that will again eventually fail at some point.

Its a 96 model. It has been replaced once before and now needs doing again.

Any pointer/advice?

Hi guys, I just wondered what my options are in NZ for a new radiator preferably an upgraded one rather than the OEM shite. Seems a waste of cash putting in another radiator that will again eventually fail at some point.

Any pointer/advice?

I just got mine from the dealer - figured that if it lasted 115,000km's and 10 years then it would be fine for the rest of the time I own the car. I don't think 16 years is that bad for a radiator really...

There are a couple of options out of the US but they are very pricey.

Zionsville to an all alloy radiator for them, but it's $$$

Someone here could make you one - do you have the normal hose conenctors, or the quick fit later type?

We put a replacement Nissens unit in Dads E30, it lasted about 8years - the lower fins started to corrode (wasn't leaking yet, but didn't want it too!), and we recently put in another one, about 2 years ago.

Whatever you get will prolly only do the life of the original OEM ones, unless you go alloy, which are mega-dollars for a good one, and it can still corrode. Put a good plastic one in, and plan on doing it again it 8 years or so.

Use the correct coolant too!

As Allan a stated use the correct coolant if possible distilled water also. then get the ph level checked and get it right. Have been told, right or wrongly it is vital to have this all in balance as if not things can go wrong real quick.

Not built like they used to be huh.

Our 1978 E12 still has the original unit in it... and it's still fine :)

That said - The E39 still fine on it's original too... sh*t just realized, that car nearly 13 yrs old now, geez time flies :o

+ 1 on the correct maintainance & inhibitor.

Had a quote early in the year for my E36 316 radiator replacement was $400,

that is around the same price for most I have had done in the last 5 years (different vehicles)

Paul E36

Any pointer/advice?

if you get stuck mate call me

cheers

Jon