Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Which E39 bumper should I go for?

I'm a massive fan of the M5 / Motorsport bumper on E39s.

They make it look far better.

But as you've said, you'd need to even up the side mouldings too.

I'm sure Ray / Brent / eBay could sort that for you though if you're not so keen on a DIY approach.

Yeah, I think you're right. The bumper's sitting on my office floor taking up too much space so going to try and fit this weekend. Have bought a can of plasti dip so I'll try that on the mouldings first and turn to Ray/Brent/ebay if the experiment fails.

Will post pics if it works though!

Thanks! I think they're already on my watchlist hah! Would prefer plain (no M5 emblem). My car's just a regular 528i. It had an M-Sport emblem on the back when I bought it but pretty certain some dreamer stuck that on so I've removed it and bought a 528i emblem... But the m-sport bumper is cool!

i think the touring rear trim is different that kinda sucks lol

Not sure. Rear trim on mine's going to be harder to get smooth than the door mouldings as the chrome trim sticks out a bit rather than being recessed. Will let you know you how I get on with Green Putty and Plasti Dip!

Not sure. Rear trim on mine's going to be harder to get smooth than the door mouldings as the chrome trim sticks out a bit rather than being recessed. Will let you know you how I get on with Green Putty and Plasti Dip!

On closer examination I don't think it's going to work for the rear bumper trim so probably have to buy black replacement but could be okay on the door mouldings. Only problem is when I fill and sand the recess where the chrome trim is it'll be really smooth while the plastic moulding has a textured finish so not sure how great it'll look. Found a full set of plain black on eBay for around $140 shipped, so may just do that.

Took the door mouldings off this weekend and filled the recess where the chrome strip is with plastic putty. Sanded and sprayed with Plasti Dip as recommended by e34play. Pretty happy with the results.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rear trim's not going to work so well as the chrome strip is a separate piece. I've decided to source some secondhand black trim from eBay so will have to put up with chrome rear trim for a while. M-sport front bumper's going on today. Will post some pics when it's one.

Any reason you didnt just get new moldings? theyre pretty cheap new.

Any reason you didnt just get new moldings? theyre pretty cheap new.

Cheapest I found were US$120 incl. shipping so not that expensive, but a lot more expensive than some plastic putty and a can of paint! Gave me something to do since I'm not much good at fixing anything on the inside!

Had the bumper fitted by professionals in the end and glad I did. Fitment was good but a few challenges that I would have struggled with - particularly with air intakes that screwed to the OEM bumper but had not fixings on the new aftermarket one. Looks good though, very happy.

any pictures with the new bumper mate?

Only got a crap phone pic and the car's still wet from overnight so it's pretty bright, but gives you the idea. Will take some proper pics soon when I've sorted the rear bumper trim.

Posted Image

Yeah, very happy with it. The profile looks way better too.

Couple of slightly better pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still got a few things to sort out: grilles were badly painted by previous owner and they wrecked the fitting when they pulled them out, shadowline window trim is temporary (still deciding whether to stick with chrome original or get it properly vinyl wrapped), need to replace upper radiator hose before it gives up, tints are buggered and rear door interior panels are no longer fitting flush (probably just needs some new clips... I hope) and would like to get the wheels fixed up and repainted/polished.

Edited by jeffbebe