Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Which E39 bumper should I go for?

My car looks a lot like this:

Posted Image

I've just bought an M5 bumper so I can make it look like this:

Posted Image

But have just seen an ACS lip kit and skirts on TM for $500 that would make it look like this:

Posted Image

And I can't decide which I like better. I think the M5 bumper looks better than the ACS front lip but I won't have the M5 skirts or rear bumper. I also kind of like the idea of the ACS modifications as my car is a 528i not an M5 or even a motorsport edition.

What does anyone else think?

hey mate

i been doing some searching as well its a hard one , i like the front lip on the last picture and stock looks good too.

m5 bumper looks good i reckon doesn't matter about the skirts and rare still looks OEM , tons of pics online on as well.

heres a link , cars abit over the top but give an example

http://fatlace.com/cars/hellaflush/superfrezh-e39/

i wouldnt get the cheap fiberglass one piece ones though! get something like this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=471829928

hey mate

i been doing some searching as well its a hard one , i like the front lip on the last picture and stock looks good too.

m5 bumper looks good i reckon doesn't matter about the skirts and rare still looks OEM , tons of pics online on as well.

heres a link , cars abit over the top but give an example

http://fatlace.com/cars/hellaflush/superfrezh-e39/

i wouldnt get the cheap fiberglass one piece ones though! get something like this:

Yeah, the M5 bumper I ordered is virtually identical to OEM, no fibreglass. I think the ACS kit I saw was fibreglass but at least it's only the front and rear lips not the whole bumper so not so much of an issue and I do quite like the fact that the main body remains as it was new. The M5 definitely looks cool though, perhaps not as low as the car in those pics, and I'll pass on the gold wheels!!

Are you sure it is an ACS kit (or copy of)?

Look like the 'optional' OEM Aero package.

Which has front lip add-on's, side skirts and rear add-on's.

which I can't seem to find on realoem.com [prob. the gumby factor]

I have seen a couple around Wgtn, both 535i IIRC

post-7-1335927077.jpg

Edited by E30-323ti

Are you sure it is an ACS kit (or copy of)?

Look like the 'optional' OEM Aero package.

Which has front lip add-on's, side skirts and rear add-on's.

which I can't seem to find on realoem.com [prob. the gumby factor]

I have seen a couple around Wgtn, both 535i IIRC

Actually, I think you're right. The ACS kit I was looking it is similar but maybe not exactly like the pic I posted. Here it is: Posted Image

I like the Aero package! Who knows where I can get one?!!

where did you order the front if you don't mind me asking ?

i was thinking of getting one from AUS and bring it through my work office in sydney

here is another link that shows stock front and side but m5 front

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...d.php?t=1757771

I got it on ebay for NZ$675 (included, fogs, grille painting and shipping).

i wish that AC kit didnt have the extra lip things on them would look clean !

Wow - that's expensive though! On Ebay, there was a guy who would paint it to code, and ship to NZ all for NZ$750 - but didn't include the extra kidney grilles. Dunno how good the paint job would be - pics looked OK from memory. I'm still tempted to order one sometimes, but the Mrs prefers the standard bumper :(

i wish that AC kit didnt have the extra lip things on them would look clean !

Yeah, they definitely improved on things with the M5 kit. I guess what I like about the ACS kit is that it reflects the era of the car. The previous owner of mine has given it some pretty flash BBS wheels and replaced all of the lights for the newer clear ones so the body kit is the only external feature that says what era it is!

Australia is listed, NZ can't be to hard for them to do.

Group buy anyone?

I've seen osme good US reviews on them too.

Group buy anyone?

i read that thread as well good comments about fitment as well

ill be interested in a group buy

Group buy anyone?

Yeah, I'd be interested in the M5 rear bumper.

if the price is right i could be keen on front and rear

sedan rear should fit touring i hope

Here's my car as it is:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see it's had a few aftermarket additions - new lights front and rear, shadowline window trim (I used tape so it can easily go back to chrome), wheels and lowered - but I reckon the M5 bumper will be a bridge too far; it'll change the car into something it's not and it would mean replacing the chrome door and bumper mouldings which I like. Instead I'm going to try and hunt down the Aero kit front lip spoiler. As a result I'll be looking to sell the M5 bumper I've ordered when it arrives. It's pre-painted in Cosmos Black but can obviously repainted (though a bargain if your E39 is black too!). I only want to get what I paid which was GBP340 (about NZ$700). Message me if you're interested.

The other thing I may do is replace the rear lights for a set with smoked indicators, so let me know if you're interested in a pair of Crystal red tail lights.

Edited by jeffbebe

So, I've got the M5 bumper, but still having a few second thoughts. These are my inspiration pics. Should I go for this? (I'm choosing to ignore the EVL *SLILLZ tag!)

Posted Image

Or this (with ACS front lip spoiler)?

Posted Image

The M5 bumper's sitting in my office at the moment. I'm a total car novice but reasonably practical. Would I be taking too big a chance to try removing the current bumper and fitting the new myself, or should I just pay for professional installation?

Edited by jeffbebe

Shouldnt be too hard.

here you go

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/01/35/54

Ha! It looks easy (famous last words) but I guess there's nothing much I can bugger up and worst case is I have to take it to a pro with my tail between my legs!! Can't tell if it needs any special tools or will a screwdriver and a set of sockets be fine?

Now just gotta find a mate with a garage. Don't fancy trying to do this out on the street in the p*ssing rain with passers by laughing at my ineptitude!! ha

Edited by jeffbebe

how would you de chrome the bumper trim?

swap them or i heard you can you this product called plasti dip or something that works fine apparently

swap them or i heard you can you this product called plasti dip or something that works fine apparently

I was thinking of two options:

Buy new trim (can get a full set of door mouldings on eBay for about $140 shipped, and reckon I can pick up the bumper mouldings for under $100) or...

Fill the recess where the chrome trim is and get a signwriter to vinyl wrap (had a quote for $150 to wrap in metallic black to match the car) but not 100% sure how good this will look unless the mouldings are perfectly smooth.

Tell me about plasti dip?!

Or maybe I'll just do the whole car!! http://www.dipyourcar.com/

I'm a massive fan of the M5 / Motorsport bumper on E39s.

They make it look far better.

But as you've said, you'd need to even up the side mouldings too.

I'm sure Ray / Brent / eBay could sort that for you though if you're not so keen on a DIY approach.