Sign in to follow this  
m2geek

What are these pipes coming out of the airbox?

M52 320i stock airbox has these 2 pipes coming out of the back under the actual intake port thingy.

Are they necessary to be connected to the box/what are they for? Am thinking bout getting a K&N coldbox and I'm not sure if the kit has connection thingys for the pipes?

Can take photos if you need em :)

My guess is that one of them is coming from the air pump that pumps some of the gasses from the exhaust or sump back to your intake, some version of carbon filtration system. But I could be wrong... It doesn't have to be connected to your filter, but I would find a good safe place for it some come out so nothing gets into it!!!

If they are like the M50

They are coolant Pipes with a small thermostat which sends flow upto the throttle body to warm it up to prevent it from icing.

it's arguable if it's needed or not, Google it - lots of discussion.

you have a m50b20 (not a m52b20), it will be a air temp sensor for the throttle body warm up thingy

Ok sweet - so really, I don't need it/them connected do i? It doesn't get "that" cold in Palmy North :P

In honesty it'd be best just to ignore it and leave it all alone - Just changing the intake on an M50B20 probably isn't worth it.