Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

E36 Temperature gauge issue.

On my car I have the stock E36 temperature gauge sensor fitted inline with a coolant pipe & wired to the corresponding wires running to the dash cluster.

The trouble is as the engine warms the temperature needle doesn't rise with it, even when its at normal operating temperature, it just sits there and remains cold, however when the power is removed from the battery terminal, and put back on, the gauge suddenly starts reading the resistance of the sensor and reads in the middle of the gauge, where one would expect the temperature to be.

But then as it cools, the gauge comes down, however if the engines started and heated up again, the needle will not climb... unless I disconnect the power, then it jumps back up to the warmer temperature reading.

Any idea why the temp gauge needle would not be rising with constant power until its interrupted and put back on?

The sensor is working fine, all tested and the resistances are right, I've even tried another off another E36 and it gives the same result.

Upon testing the dash by holding the ODO button and turning the key to 'ign' it performs the gauge test and the temperature needle rises and falls.

Any help would be great! Obviously it has something to do with my engine conversion, but I can't understand what...

Edited by Michael.

what colour is the plug on the temp sender , does it need to be earthed??

single or 2 pins??

what colour is the plug on the temp sender , does it need to be earthed??

single or 2 pins??

2 Pin type, black connector, part number 12621747281...

thats a weird one .

maybe it likes to be earthed as well or mounted to the head instead of sitting in the middle of a hose etc

have you tried that??

also paint your bumper eh!!!

thats a weird one .

maybe it likes to be earthed as well or mounted to the head instead of sitting in the middle of a hose etc

have you tried that??

also paint your bumper eh!!!

Yeah I know right.

I might try a good ground again, I've tried it with a makeshift ground wire, which didn't seem to do anything but it could had been a poor connection. ..

I'm also wondering if I didn't hook up a ground wire from the dash cluster.... who knows, I think I will have to run through things step by step.

Then again it could be a fault with the dash cluster itself... as now that I recall a few times in my E36 with the M50 it would get stuck at about 1/4 temp and with a tap on the top of the dash start rising again...

Haha that bloody bumper, I've kept putting painting it off and off... it's at the end of my priorities list right now.

Edited by Michael.