Sign in to follow this  
adams202

E30 raw fuel smell

Hey all - Was hoping for some help.

91 E30 325i za assembled with long range tank - left home yesterday on about 1/2 tank of fuel drove to auckland etc car was fine...

Once almost empty I filled to full (As i always do). After 20 mins I could smell "raw" fuel. It was worse when window was open.

I pulled over (10.30pm top of kaimais) and popped hood, couldn't smell anything that wasn't normal under there, "nothing raw". Exhaust fumes didn't smell raw. Around fuel cap wasn't leaking or overly strong but could smell fuel slightly. Sniffing around couldnt pin point, rolled the car back - No puddles. :mellow: Got home, parked the garage sniffed again nothing that was easy to point to but opened the boot and STRONG smell in the there. To late so left it.

This morning garage smells and again in boot smells worse.

Few quick points, couple fills ago - when the pump shut off gas funneled up and back out the inlet - It kept flowing out and wouldn't stop so I put put the cap on.

I felt like the gauge dropped quick in the first 20 mins (not 100% sure however) but stayed steady the rest of the way home.

The long inlet hose that runs to the tank was replaced about 6 months ago as it smelled of fuel in garage, hose was weeping slightly. No smells since then.

Sorry for all the words - Would be good to get some ideas where to start looking?

Off to help a mate re-roof a house - leaving the e30 in isolation

But will be having a good look tonight or tomorrow.

Just an idea, but how much did you fill it? I.E to the first click on the pump? Or all the way to the brim? As if it was filled to the brim rather than the first click you would have had a fair amount of fuel leaking out of the fuel tank vents (or vented fuel cap) on every corner you went around.

(Dunno what the setup is like for a long range tank, but if it has a vent within the boot that could be your problem maybe?)

I had this in my e30 once, then a mate had it in his mitsi...we filled up at the same place and once the tanks were emptied and refilled somewhere else it went away

i found out later i also had a leaking intake gasket... either way different fuel fixed it as far as I knew

I didn't notice the gasket leaking for another 2 months, once it developed a big hissing noise lol

Just an idea, but how much did you fill it? I.E to the first click on the pump? Or all the way to the brim? As if it was filled to the brim rather than the first click you would have had a fair amount of fuel leaking out of the fuel tank vents (or vented fuel cap) on every corner you went around.

(Dunno what the setup is like for a long range tank, but if it has a vent within the boot that could be your problem maybe?)

Filled to first click - this took gauge to right on full - however first click usually only takes it about 1/8th shy of full. I'm suspect on the extra long rang tank that's behind the back seat.

Will find the vents and see If their are signs of fuel spilling out. Thanks mate

Hey all - Was hoping for some help.

91 E30 325i za assembled with long range tank - left home yesterday on about 1/2 tank of fuel drove to auckland etc car was fine...

Once almost empty I filled to full (As i always do). After 20 mins I could smell "raw" fuel. It was worse when window was open.

I pulled over (10.30pm top of kaimais) and popped hood, couldn't smell anything that wasn't normal under there, "nothing raw". Exhaust fumes didn't smell raw. Around fuel cap wasn't leaking or overly strong but could smell fuel slightly. Sniffing around couldnt pin point, rolled the car back - No puddles. :mellow: Got home, parked the garage sniffed again nothing that was easy to point to but opened the boot and STRONG smell in the there. To late so left it.

This morning garage smells and again in boot smells worse.

Few quick points, couple fills ago - when the pump shut off gas funneled up and back out the inlet - It kept flowing out and wouldn't stop so I put put the cap on.

I felt like the gauge dropped quick in the first 20 mins (not 100% sure however) but stayed steady the rest of the way home.

The long inlet hose that runs to the tank was replaced about 6 months ago as it smelled of fuel in garage, hose was weeping slightly. No smells since then.

Sorry for all the words - Would be good to get some ideas where to start looking?

Off to help a mate re-roof a house - leaving the e30 in isolation

But will be having a good look tonight or tomorrow.

If you pull the boot liner that covers the long range tank, iifc on the drivers side there is a transfer/vent hose and a point that it can rub on........

Don't know a lot about e30's but once had a similar issue on my old e36... Turned out it was a fuel line to the injectors that had perished and the smell was coming through the window and vents (Just an idea!)

Don't know a lot about e30's but once had a similar issue on my old e36... Turned out it was a fuel line to the injectors that had perished and the smell was coming through the window and vents (Just an idea!)

Thanks - have looked into this and dont think thats it - Bugger

If you pull the boot liner that covers the long range tank, iifc on the drivers side there is a transfer/vent hose and a point that it can rub on........

Got the car jacked and fellowed it through to where it joins back to the inlet back up under wheel arch... No leaks or damage.

I think its something around this area though... I'm going to look for some diagrams (any links ?) on how its suppose to work before I start pulling off hoses at random...

Cheers

You'll probably find the fuel line was replaced with none teflon coated lines. This is normally ok on the outside of the car, however if the line is close to some sort of inlet it can smell of fuel.

I have the problem myself in the e30. But mines caused by a surge tank in the boot with fuel lines.

If its this problem, the fuel isnt actually leaking so to speak, its just vapour permeating through the lines.

Hi,

Been down this road with my M3 the fuel started to leak out from underneath the main tank once the aux tank had fuel in it. I took a bit to track it down, ended up the O ring between the in tank pump and top of the main tank had gone hard an the pump assembly was loose in the tank.

Yours being later than mine may not have in tank pump but probably still have a similar arrangement with the fuel sender unit and pick up assembly.

I have also heard the other common problem is the breather hose gets perished which connect to the top of the tank and goes through the chassi to the filler neck.

Best way to diagnose is fill both tanks, jack it up remove the access cover from under the rear seat and have a good look around.

They can be a bit tricky to fill and are quite sensitive to vehicle angle more so if the tank/car is hot, filling it up with cold fuel and a hot tank is best taken slowly at the last 1/4 of tank.

Virtually every breather hose/pipe is fill of fuel when both tanks are full so if the fuel expands it flows out the filler neck.

Dave.

Edited by 87M3@NZ

pull the rear seat and the black inspection plate and look at the hoses on top of the tank, round fuel pump etc. if you havent yet, I blew one of the hoses on top apart filling up once...

You'll probably find the fuel line was replaced with none teflon coated lines. This is normally ok on the outside of the car, however if the line is close to some sort of inlet it can smell of fuel.

I have the problem myself in the e30. But mines caused by a surge tank in the boot with fuel lines.

If its this problem, the fuel isnt actually leaking so to speak, its just vapour permeating through the lines.

Interesting - I get what your saying too.

I'll have a look and keep this in mind thanks.

Hi,

Been down this road with my M3 the fuel started to leak out from underneath the main tank once the aux tank had fuel in it. I took a bit to track it down, ended up the O ring between the in tank pump and top of the main tank had gone hard an the pump assembly was loose in the tank.

Yours being later than mine may not have in tank pump but probably still have a similar arrangement with the fuel sender unit and pick up assembly.

I have also heard the other common problem is the breather hose gets perished which connect to the top of the tank and goes through the chassi to the filler neck.

Best way to diagnose is fill both tanks, jack it up remove the access cover from under the rear seat and have a good look around.

They can be a bit tricky to fill and are quite sensitive to vehicle angle more so if the tank/car is hot, filling it up with cold fuel and a hot tank is best taken slowly at the last 1/4 of tank.

Virtually every breather hose/pipe is fill of fuel when both tanks are full so if the fuel expands it flows out the filler neck.

Dave.

Thanks Dave very helpful - I think this is the way to go.

I was suspect on the hose that your talking about from the top tank to filler. Its not damaged or showing signs of leaking however. Going to look at this more... Wonder if its blocked - might explain a few things.

Secondly i'll fellow the outlet to from the plastic expansion tank top of the arch as it seems to me that there is a strong smell coming from where in disappears into the runner in the wheel arch... Perhaps a slight leak in there? Its still evaporating I can smell it still...

After looking into the way both tanks fill I agree with your filling approach haha :rolleyes:

Thanks again

pull the rear seat and the black inspection plate and look at the hoses on top of the tank, round fuel pump etc. if you havent yet, I blew one of the hoses on top apart filling up once...

good suggestion - seats coming out tomorrow arvo, hope to find something!

Will let you know

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Bang on a few of them. I have replaced the transfer hose that runs from the second tank behind the rear seat through chassis to the filler. It was perished enough to release vapor - As hybrid suggested above.

Havent filled it yet - But quietly confident.

Funny side though, Just about every time I do something on this car I find tools that aren't mine - screwdriver (third one) and socket extension this time... Winning :lol:

Thanks again