Sign in to follow this  
byza213

cheapish m5?

Nope. All jerry Clayton logbook services.

I average 12/13L around town but I have a heavy foot.

It's the open road where this car truly shines.

wow my 535 inspection i and two were two -three times that,and day to day fuel consumption about the same

Factory clutch is weak and will start to slip on full throttle over 3rd gear.

Brakes are weak for comparative weight. I've warped a set of rotors in 3 laps.

Factory brake pads produce a ridiculous amount of dust.

exhaust is restrictive

They apparently easily brake rear sway bar mounts - however this hasn't happened to me personally.

Stereo speakers lack range

These are all easily fixed. Plenty of parts to choose from.

Clutch problem is weird, they're usually pretty strong.

Even though they are Motorsport vehicles they weren't made for straight to the track thrashing so can understand the brake issue. Although I have OEM Brembos and are brilliant on and off the track.

The rear swaybar mount issue is all E39s not just M5, see this all the time.

Clutch problem is weird, they're usually pretty strong.

Even though they are Motorsport vehicles they weren't made for straight to the track thrashing so can understand the brake issue. Although I have OEM Brembos and are brilliant on and off the track.

The rear swaybar mount issue is all E39s not just M5, see this all the time.

Both my M5's had the same clutch issue. Solved with a stronger aftermarket unit. I read somewhere when they were built BMW were concerned about the gearbox so opted for a weaker clutch.

Both showed first at around 60ks on the clock on full throttle 4th gear at around 6000.

full throttle 4th gear at around 6000.

that must going be pretty quick?

Nope. All jerry Clayton logbook services.

I average 12/13L around town but I have a heavy foot.

12/13L that is much less than 540iA.My 540iA make 14/15L urban drive.

Isn't that the case with every BMW unless it's like a 116i ?

I want a 335d Motorsport. Can anyone spot me one ?

no such thing as a cheap M5 imho.

Agreed Paul, I normally see 14.5 l/100km consumption, so I wouldn't call it cheap, but for the performance and the age of the technology, it isn't that bad. It is a lot of car for the money. But if you worry about fuel, you have missed the point of this car.

Agree with Darren on clutches. Factory clutch is a weak point (see M5Board.com for countless tales). But aside from that, it should really only have normal e39 issues along with with occasional M5 price tag repairs - potential vanos repairs etc.

Another thing to note - some love to drink oil, others don't. Another common discussion on M5Board.com. Castrol TWS is their preferred choice, normally only found at the local BMW dealer.

Agreed Paul, I normally see 14.5 l/100km consumption, so I wouldn't call it cheap, but for the performance and the age of the technology, it isn't that bad. It is a lot of car for the money. But if you worry about fuel, you have missed the point of this car.

Agree with Darren on clutches. Factory clutch is a weak point (see M5Board.com for countless tales). But aside from that, it should really only have normal e39 issues along with with occasional M5 price tag repairs - potential vanos repairs etc.

Another thing to note - some love to drink oil, others don't. Another common discussion on M5Board.com. Castrol TWS is their preferred choice, normally only found at the local BMW dealer.

i dont "worry" about the fuel consumption but at the end of the week the fuel light is on and the (large) tank needs fillin :o I would use the car as a DD too and my round trip is 48k a day.It is a real cost with a thirsty car.I wasnt really talking about fuel though,more m5 specific parts these are gettin to be older cars now.//M parts have a reputation for being much more than non //M car parts

Yes I found this interesting also. During sustained hard running my first M5 (2003 model) did drink oil. To the point I even got a oil warning light and it needed a full litre.

My current car (2002 model). Not a drop. Even after a day on the track. No sure why that is.

On the M car $ parts comments - luckily I haven't really hit this. But this would be down to buying a documented low K car and maintaining the car to the highest standard.

Pay less for a high mileage car without the history and it may come back to bite you.

i dont "worry" about the fuel consumption but at the end of the week the fuel light is on and the (large) tank needs fillin :o I would use the car as a DD too and my round trip is 48k a day.It is a real cost with a thirsty car.I wasnt really talking about fuel though,more m5 specific parts these are gettin to be older cars now.//M parts have a reputation for being much more than non //M car parts

hehe -- I have got 9.7L/100 on the taupo - wtgn run. I was seeing what the max could achieve in the real world.

Thats 90-100km/hr, 4 passengers, 1 dog, boot full of baggage and me doing my best to coast down the hills, draft trucks and avoid touching the gas pedal.

Worst would be 3/4 of a tank to Taupo. I was honking it.

It all depends on how you drive it. I still think for the size / weight it still has amazing fuel economy when you want it and all the HP when you need it.

Edited by M5V8

Yes I found this interesting also. During sustained hard running my first M5 (2003 model) did drink oil. To the point I even got a oil warning light and it needed a full litre.

My current car (2002 model). Not a drop. Even after a day on the track. No sure why that is.

On the M car $ parts comments - luckily I haven't really hit this. But this would be down to buying a documented low K car and maintaining the car to the highest standard.

Pay less for a high mileage car without the history and it may come back to bite you.

hence my comment above(there isnt such a thing as a cheap m5)

hehe -- I have got 9.7L/100 on the taupo - wtgn run. I was seeing what the max could achieve in the real world.

Thats 90-100km/hr, 4 passengers, 1 dog, boot full of baggage and me doing my best to coast down the hills, draft trucks and avoid touching the gas pedal.

Worst would be 3/4 of a tank to Taupo. I was honking it.

It all depends on how you drive it. I still think for the size / weight it still has amazing fuel economy when you want it and all the HP when you need it.

yes i have heard this sort of comment on the m5 board.are they torquey from middle revs...ie can you just squeeze the throttle in 6th(or maybe 5th) and complete a relatively rapid overtaking manouvre(as opposed to a "select third and annialite everything ")

Edited by kiwi535

yes i have heard this sort of comment on the m5 board.are they torquey from middle revs...ie can you just squeeze the throttle in 6th(or maybe 5th) and complete a relatively rapid overtaking manouvre(as opposed to a "select third and annialite everything ")

Yup you can def overtake in just 6th, or make a lower selection depending on the road length and number of cars you require to dispatch.

Its always gives me a smile selecting 4th an flooring it. The 100-150 acceleration times are pretty snappy.

That's the whole point of M///, to bring a big goofy smile to your dile.

Yup you can def overtake in just 6th, or make a lower selection depending on the road length and number of cars you require to dispatch.

Its always gives me a smile selecting 4th an flooring it. The 100-150 acceleration times are pretty snappy.

I can beleive it,even the old 535 was pretty good at those sort of antics