Sign in to follow this  
my_e36

Speeding Ticket

If the cop don't show you the radar/laser upon asking, I stand a good chance getting that off?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

as topic

If the police don't show you or won't allow you to see the radar/laser gun when you asked for it, you stand a good chance to getting that ticket write off?

I recently got a speeding ticket, asked to see the radar reading the cop said he did not have time to lock it in as he had to pull a U turn quickly. I wrote in to try and get off the ticket, the reply I got was that there is no legal obligation for the Police to show the reading.

Guest Spargo

Better to ask to see a weekly calibration certificate and an operating manual. They're not obliged to show you the reading, but if you do see it, and say that you've seen it, its practically an admission of guilt.

weekly ? I heard for it to be accurate it has to be done every 12 hours.

False. I do however have an operating manual for the laser gun. Was it raining at all?

We kept sending letters to the cops, ask for the calibration of the unit (as suggested).

The most useful thing you can do is keep the bastards tied up communicationg with you. Then take it to court, plead guilty on the day. Pay the fine plus court costs.

You will have achieved getting the cop who ticketed you off the road for the day of the court appearance, plus he will have had to waste his time checking his paperwork is correct.

The more people that do this, it will make in uneconomical for the Police to continue using speeding as a revenue stream.

NOTE: I am not condoning speeding or stupid driving, the police should pull you over if you drive like a Jesse. I followed a loaded logging truck doing 90kph in the fast lane today on the Southern Mwy, he deserved a ticket. Drove in that lane for 7km when the lane next to him was clear. :rambo:

In reality, they never pull you over when youre innocent.

Its more like you get dissapointed that you didnt get away with it this time..

TRUE!!!

There is a new law that the ploice officer has to ask YOU whether you would like to look at the radar!!! In failing to ask YOU, hes not doing his job properly and 9 times outa 10 didnt clock you meaning you can get off the ticket.

By the way that information is coming from a police officer who pulled me over doing 115 in the middle of nowhere on SH27. He asked me if i would like to look at the radar after i gave him the excuse "im guilty i was speeding" i then replyed "no thats ok i just admitted im guilty" he turned round and said he had to ask me that as i could get off it otherwise. :thumb:

By the way that information is coming from a police officer who pulled me over doing 115 in the middle of nowhere on SH27. He asked me if i would like to look at the radar after i gave him the excuse "im guilty i was speeding" i then replyed "no thats ok i just admitted im guilty" he turned round and said he had to ask me that as i could get off it otherwise. :thumb:

He must have been misinformed - I have a letter from the police infringment department that says quite clearly that they are not legally obliged to show you squat (however, not quite in those words). I asked my lawyer if it was worth fighting, (as I was not doing the speed the officer alleged I was doing, plus he outright refused to show me the reading) and he (lawyer) said that all that was needed was for the police officer to identify me in court and the deal was over - the ticket would stick.

I know we have at least 1 cop on these forums - how about a little clarification one way or the other?

Or maybe its just different regions have different rules? But that wouldnt be right....

TRUE!!!

There is a new law that the ploice officer has to ask YOU whether you would like to look at the radar!!!

just like you can get off a ticket if the officer isnt wearing his hat when he gets out of the car! :lol:

They also need to have their Hi-Vis vest, to have "blue lighted" you and give at least a whoop on the siren.

If they ask "Do you know why I pulled you over?", Say "If you don't know then I'm out of here" and drive off.

Again, they do a valuable job, I'm not anti-police, just the ticket quota. Take the unsafe vehicles off the road, there are sh*t loads of those on the road in Auckland.

Again, they do a valuable job, I'm not anti-police, just the ticket quota.

My sentiments exactly! Although this topic has been thrashed before, and the government/police swear that there is no quota, it still seems rather odd that you cant get a cop to come and investigate if your house gets broken into, but you can be sure that you will see untold amounts of police cars on the road patrolling traffic. Blatant revenue gathering.

I believe it's the Stratiegic Traffic Units (STU) that have the 'quota system'. They opperate differently from normal police.

If there weren't several hundred deaths on our roads each year they probably wouldn't put so much effort into speeders, boy racers etc...

If we speed we'll sooner or later get caught, simple.

the 'quota system' is a minimum of 3 "CONTACTS" per hour. go figure.

was the lazer gun on a tripod or hand held?

if it was hand held, the speed can increase with the movement of the wrist, when pulling the trigger. This can add 'up to' 35kph of ones speed. another area to explore in court?

Im fighting a speeding ticket with my boss at the moment. i was in my truck doing 90kph according to the speedo, but the cop got me at 105kph near woodville.

The boss didnt want to know so i rang up the union at set them on my boss's case.

OT, if your not showen the reading on the gun/radar, the cop could be making up awhole lot of bullshit. So they could give anyone a ticket if they wanted to.

Edited by bumpstop325

Surely the radar reading is being used against you as evidence in a prosecution (of a speeding infringement) and as such must be provided to you freely if requested in order for you to mount a defence, if you so desire. Isn't it similar to the problem the police ran into when they tried to charge people money to get a copy of your own speed camera photos, which was also illegal.

The thing is...

I bet cops you harass with 'let me see the reading' will also be more inclined to check that everything on the car is 100% legal. They prob wont be as lenient either...

Sorry but that sounds like rubbish. Heaps of cops on the road don't know the road rules. My brother had one ask him what the conditions of his restricted lisence were. (Not checking that my brother knew, he actually didn't know).

Also we've been involved with police call outs a few times and they always came pretty quickly and with a few cars, so i wouldn't say the quota is keeping them from "proper" police work.

cry me a river, pay the ticket.

dont speed if you dont want to pay..

Guest Spargo

A couple of cops turned up at 3:40am a couple of wednesdays ago, after I got beaten up by three "nice island boys" as I was leaving work, which was cool, gave me a ride home from town to home, about a 10min drive, as I could barely see.

Yet, they haven't been able to find them, AFTER i gave them the plate of their car, and showed them where they could obtain all the CCTV footage of High st, including footage of the actual attack - not cool seeing yourself getting sassed.

Last time I got pulled over doing something silly on the roads, I was given a warning when I should have had the book thrown at me, purely because she was on her way to attend a rape callout.

So moral is for me, cops actually do good work and provide a great service, but they're underpaid, understaffed and overworked, so I try to cut them some slack.

I've had my share of tickets and I've never been pulled over when I was obeying the law. I treat it as a fun tax. The times when I haven't been copped burning up the road far outweigh those where I have. I've had free fun.

Most of us know how fast our cars will go - if we know that then we've been driving two and half times the speed limit. We were lucky we didn't get copped when we did that - or no licence.

The people who fair piss me off are the blokes who lose their licence for DUI and still drive pissed, without a licence. I'm out there stone cold sober and I don't want to get plowed by those idiots.

I've had my share of tickets and I've never been pulled over when I was obeying the law. I treat it as a fun tax.

Haha, I like that view, and I also agree that DUI ppl are really irk me up.

The law is too lenient on repeat offenders, in particular that there are drivers with over 20 DUI convictions...1 should be enough to scare someone into not doing again but it should be strike 3 and you're out.

Bottom line, if you get caught doing something wrong then accept your responsibiliies and don't try to share the blame. Learn from your mistakes.