Sign in to follow this  
rusteee

Oil leaks =(

Hi guys.

I have an 02 E39 530i, Had the check engine light come today, not too sure why as yet. Popped the bonnet to have a quick look and noticed a couple of oil leaks (don't think its related to the light), which looks to be leaking out of the hose crimp on the large black hose from the A/C compressor, and the other looks like VANOS solenoid (as per pics)? Very disheartening given the amount of work including the VANOS thats been done on this car. What is the hose connected to the AC, will the system need to be opened up to replace the hose? Anyone have any recommendations where I can take it, to have both these issues sorted first time? Is this a common issue with these hose crimps, as I notice my power steering one is leaking aswell. I live in the Waikato regions (Te Kauwhata) but travel to Auckland on weekends, which is usually the only time I have to get the car anywhere. Will also need the car scanned to see what the check engine light came on for.

Cheers

post-5533-1339822382.jpg

post-5533-1339822393.jpg

post-5533-1339822406.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if the oil leak is coming from above that area somewhere or even above the fan and getting blown around the place by the fan when driving. Maybe rocker cover gasket?

The hose leak, im sure its the crimp because its sort of pooled around the top of the crimp, but i suppose hard to tell. Does refirgerant or oil flow through it do you know?. Can't be the fan blowing it around as the viscous coupling is had it as well, tut tut the list goes on :rolleyes: have a new one coming though. I have had the rocker cover gasket done aswell at the same time the VANOS was done, but yes that is leaking too <_< I'm over having to get things done more than once. Any idea what can be done to seal the rocker cover gasket?, as it is a brand new one, maybe 2 months old max.

Edited by rusteee

Don't think so? The oil coming out isn't power steering fluid, its engine oil viscocity/colour.

Don't think so? The oil coming out isn't power steering fluid, its engine oil viscocity/colour.

lools like it will be the cam cover gasket and maybe front cover gaskets etc .

best thing to do is clean it all down with some degreaser then watch where is comes out of .

oil will always travel down and back in a engine bay

The oil filter housing gasket is a common leak point, and you'd be amazed where that oil gets to! - it's probably worth doing - only takes a couple of hours at home.

As Brent says, the rocker cover gasket is probably the most common leak, and it will go nearly everywhere too!

Because these things run such thin oil, it can run nearly anywhere!

lools like it will be the cam cover gasket and maybe front cover gaskets etc .

best thing to do is clean it all down with some degreaser then watch where is comes out of .

oil will always travel down and back in a engine bay

Yeah, I suppose that is a good way to go about it thanks. Looking at the pics, it really does look like the rocker cover gasket is leaking quite bad. The old gasket never leaked, but I had it replaced at the same time as the VANOS to prevent something like this from happening as I hate having to have things done more than once, which seems to be a common occurance on this car hahaha :rolleyes: just like trying to be a good samaritan and having preventative maintence done when I first brought the car was the worst thing that happened to it lol, never been quite the same. Always a nice drive though, so money well spent =D gotta love E39

Had the check engine light come on again tonight so might have to take some time off to have it taken in and scanned before something really does go wrong.

My E39 was leaking the the exact same spot, cover the same components/hoses as yours in oil. Was leaking from the front of the valve cover gasket, just above the vanos solenoid. Was only seeping though.

It wont be coming up out of that aircon hose, and do not try and undo that hose (itll have pressurized refrigerant in it), itll be leaking onto that hose and pooling at the crimp.

Hit it all with degreaser, then see where the oil is coming from.

edit, FYI my leak was as bad as yours (maybe worse, mine would leave oil on the ground overnight) but never tripped the CEL.

Edited by KwS