Sign in to follow this  
Greg111

Air flow to Map

Hey guys, haven't done a lot of research but one of you fellows may be in the know and possibly done this.

Am wanting to know how possible it is to convert an Airflow meter to Map sensor, (airflow meter delete if you will)

Car runs fine with it disconnected but am willing to put more air into the system thus requiring either airflow or map.

Map sensor aka manifold absolute pressure sensor, a vehicle either runs a map sensor or a air flow sensor, i am wanting to rid my airflow.

Yup, is a Map-ecu not a box of tricks that does this for you?

Yup, is a Map-ecu not a box of tricks that does this for you?

Sorry, have just looked at the link haha.

Map sensor aka manifold absolute pressure sensor, a vehicle either runs a map sensor or a air flow sensor, i am wanting to rid my airflow.

For completeness... it can have neither, just mapping throttle position and rpm (alpha-N). Presumably what its doing if you disconnect the MAF.

For completeness... it can have neither, just mapping throttle position and rpm (alpha-N). Presumably what its doing if you disconnect the MAF.

Yep if i disconnect the airflow sensor it still runs mint, goes to a base setting but that base setting will be assumming a nominal value is going in when in fact there will be more than the factory settings.

For instance say at idle the base setting is set to 6% air entering the engine, I plan on having say 9% entering so it still needs to have a correct reading.

Couple of ways to do this.

Flash your DME with Alpha-N software (Im not aware of anyone doing this in NZ yet) Gavin may do this, i'm not sure. It will still require you to retune the DME.

Run a MAF device emulation device that converts pressure and temprature sensing to a expect MAF signal. This will allow you eliminate the MAF and increase the airflow diameter and retune for more air / run a larger carbon plenium intake diameter as seen in the CSL. The last one I saw of this was from Maxx automotive.

Have been trying to pull apart the Siemens MSS50 DME (different to your 3.3 DME) but the bloody thing is stored across two ROMs in 2 x 64KB segments with a 32KB segment as the master. Then im trying to work out the DME program and not just the maps.

Brendons managed to program his stock GSR ECU with flat shifting by editing the program in the ECU and decision making processes of the ECU. That and adding a clutch switch into a not needed pin in the ECU. He just reassigned that pin to a new function created.

So anythings possible really, its just the dis-assembly bit thats the fun bit.

mapecu removes any AFM as such i have a rough idea how it works since i helped design it

mapecu removes any AFM as such i have a rough idea how it works since i helped design it

Impressive, seems the easiest way to go.

Impressive, seems the easiest way to go.

but like most ecu's its outcome is only as good as the tuner

but like most ecu's its outcome is only as good as the tuner

Correct.

Correct.

i have the mapecu2 in the e34, works really well