Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Mancaves

Justa couple of things on the pics of the veranda you've built, I'd have used a larger beam (150x90) and bolted it to the posts. Purlins could have been spaced further also. These are guesses from the pics and without looking up nzs3604, so could be out.

The main problem with it, is that there is no step between the inside floor and the outside ground level. It must be a step of 100mm min. Potentially a real problem in the future.

There's heaps of support there, I've used 8x2 for the roof joists which is heaps for only 3 meters in length. We've had some hardcore winds up here since building it and it never creaked or groaned. Might not be able to see it, but there's atleast 100mm of distance inside the sliding door, a step which is a pain in the arse. The fall of the deck goes towards where the pizza oven is.

I'll have to take your word on the floor heights, sure is hard to tell...But the beam is well under size.

From NZS3604. For lightweight roof.

A 150x100 veranda beam has a max 1.8m span with a loaded dimension (rafter/2) max 1.4m or 1.6/1.8. With fixing type DD (1x12mm bolt).

A 200x100 veranda beam has a max 2.4m span with a loaded dimension (rafter/2) max 1.4m or 2.1/1.8. With fixing type DD (1x12mm bolt)

A rafter 200x100 has a max span of;

Low/med wind zone, 3.4m@900mm centres with 2x100mmx3.75 skewed nails+wire dog (type 'B').

High wind zone, 3m@900mm centres same fixing

Very high wind zone, 2.7m@900mm centres same fixing.

All Call sizes and all No1 framing/MSG6.

Are we having fun yet?

PS, this is from a 1999 3604. There is now a 2011 3604, so some of that may have changed again.

PPS, the numbers include a snow loading 0.5/1.0kpa, which I'm assuming you have.

Clinton,

I have 3604:2011. I assume worst case wind zone of Very High, you are in Dunedin after all and with 1kPa snow load assuming you are not at 200m altitude.

-Rafters, 190x90mm SG8 at 1200mm centres. Span 4.1m (biggest span for 190mm timber). Fixed to beam with Lumberlok CPC40 cleats.

-Purlins, 70x45mm at 600mm centres. Fixed to rafters with 1/10g self tapping screw, 80mm long.

-Verandah Beam, 240x45mm SG8 between posts at 2m centres max. Bolted to post with 2/M12 bolts, use 50x50x3mm washers each side.

-Posts, 90x90mm Laminated at 2m centres. Use Bowmac B79 strap fixing set in 800x800x800mm 20MPa concrete footings. Bolted to post with 2/M12 bolts, use 50x50x3mm washers each side.

I will be in Dunedin on Sat if you wanted to discuss it further on site. I strongly suggest getting it consented as mentioned above. You can do your own plans if you wanted to save on paying someone, although I have drawn it up quickly already.

Adam.

Hi Clinton are you any the wiser haha sorry don't wish to seem harsh but welcome to the building industry. It has been a night mare for those of us that work in it trying to keep up with all the changes that have and still are happening. As I said before and others have now enlightened to it is going to need some careful planning and still in the end a consent may have to be issued for you to construct your covered in area to the size and shape you had first told us about. As to NZ3604 was under the impression that it was only a guide these days for designers to use when doing their plans and the main guide used was AS2/EL , could have this wrong though. The paper pusher have it well and truly sown up and have no problem o of raping your wallet for you. Best of luck with it but I feel you are going to have a fair bit of frustration coming your way if it hasn't already keep trucking with it and something is bound to develop for you.

Cheers Allan

Clinton,

I have 3604:2011. I assume worst case wind zone of Very High, you are in Dunedin after all and with 1kPa snow load assuming you are not at 200m altitude.

-Rafters, 190x90mm SG8 at 1200mm centres. Span 4.1m (biggest span for 190mm timber). Fixed to beam with Lumberlok CPC40 cleats.

-Purlins, 70x45mm at 600mm centres. Fixed to rafters with 1/10g self tapping screw, 80mm long.

-Verandah Beam, 240x45mm SG8 between posts at 2m centres max. Bolted to post with 2/M12 bolts, use 50x50x3mm washers each side.

-Posts, 90x90mm Laminated at 2m centres. Use Bowmac B79 strap fixing set in 800x800x800mm 20MPa concrete footings. Bolted to post with 2/M12 bolts, use 50x50x3mm washers each side.

I will be in Dunedin on Sat if you wanted to discuss it further on site. I strongly suggest getting it consented as mentioned above. You can do your own plans if you wanted to save on paying someone, although I have drawn it up quickly already.

Adam.

Yup, span is 2.5meters and using 8x2 H3 - so overkill

600mm centers and width of rafters is 1.1m and I have used 2x80mm SS woodscrew using my new impact driver. Posts are 100x100 and distance between them is 1.7m. I've steel strapped my rafters to 100x100 supports and ofcourse nailed them also. 100x100 posts are also aprox 1.3 - 1.5 meters into the ground with atleast two bags of 20kg concrete each. On top of that it's bolted to the framing for the asphalt.

This bitch aint going nowhere. Oh & sorry Westy, I measured the step and it's only 60mm lol. The old concrete deck was always the same level and never a problem with water e.t.c Also, on our other "veranda" it is much longer, spaced a lot more apart and only has 100x50mm roof joists,whereas the smaller one I recently "might" have built is 190x50mm (8x2) - the old one has been there since before we bought the place 5 years ago. It's had a good couple of tons of snow on it a few years back.

Edited by The Diesel Guy