Sign in to follow this  
adams202

E30 for M50 Cert - Cat or no Cat

Hey all - how do we "regular people" interpret the lvv Cert on vehicles that are required to be fitted with

catalytic converters?

I was originally told that I need a cat by the guy doing the cert but going back to him with a bit more info...

I'm thinking I dont need it, my ZA assembled e30's never had one, no part for it on RealOEM for my serial number.

How have the other kids in the play ground got on with this?

Your car never came with cats so there for doesnt need them nor does it need them for a cert.

Its what I researched when I did mine. Could of changed in the mean time however.

If you car came with cats including hangers for them on the chassis then yes you would need to retain them.

I was told that because i had a late model engine (M52) which originally had them in its donor chassis (ie the E36 and E34 both had cats) and that there was room under the E30 to fit one then it had to be there. The rule changed in April last year iirc, may be off by a month or two. I remember this because he told me to try and get the car through before that so i didnt have to re-make the exhaust.

That said, at the end of the day, its down to whatever your certifiers interpretation of the rules are though, just the same as a WOF inspector. If he says you need it, you need it. If not, then you dont. And yes they do vary.

Yeah lots of myth around this one. I can see how it can happen, someone reads something, someone tells someone (local mechanic) its that something however ommits important detail. That person tells a bunch of customers its going to be this with out important caviet.

Basic rule of thumb just always check the low volume site first, and if its a grey area, ask a clear factual based question on the low volume forum.

http://lvvta.proboards.com/index.cgi?board...&thread=231

No you don't need cats. Unless it was first registered after 2010 for some reason!

I agree - based on reading below. Will talk it through with him. Should be sweet.

2.5 Catalytic converters

Modified production low volume vehicles that are required to be fitted

with catalytic converters

2.5(1) A modified production low volume vehicle that has undergone an engine conversion, other than one to which 2.5(3) to 2.5(6) applies, is required to have its exhaust gases directed through one or more catalytic converters, if:

(a ) the vehicle was manufactured after 1 January 1990; and

(b ) the vehicle was first registered in New Zealand after 1 May 2010; and

(c ) the retroâ€fitted engine was originally manufactured in either:

(i) the United States of America on or after 1 January 1975; or

(ii) Europe or the United Kingdom on or after 1990; or

(iii) Japan on or after 1 January 1985; or

(iv) Australia on or after 1 January 1986.

Read more: http://lvvta.proboards.com/index.cgi?board...1#ixzz1yyR3SZz5

I agree - based on reading below. Will talk it through with him. Should be sweet.

2.5 Catalytic converters

Modified production low volume vehicles that are required to be fitted

with catalytic converters

2.5(1) A modified production low volume vehicle that has undergone an engine conversion, other than one to which 2.5(3) to 2.5(6) applies, is required to have its exhaust gases directed through one or more catalytic converters, if:

(a ) the vehicle was manufactured after 1 January 1990; and

(b ) the vehicle was first registered in New Zealand after 1 May 2010; and

(c ) the retro‐fitted engine was originally manufactured in either:

(i) the United States of America on or after 1 January 1975; or

(ii) Europe or the United Kingdom on or after 1990; or

(iii) Japan on or after 1 January 1985; or

(iv) Australia on or after 1 January 1986.

Read more: http://lvvta.proboards.com/index.cgi?board...1#ixzz1yyR3SZz5

ahh thats my conversion cleared up then, and why i needed a cat. mine is a 1990 Jap import so meets A and B, and i used an M52 which was after 1990. a bit unfair when the 89 and 90 E30 is identical but thems the rules.

Was it imported after 2010? I seriously doubt that.

Mine was imported into NZ In 1998! and it's a 1991.

To require a Catalizer it needs to be newer than 1990, AND BE REGISTERED, FIRST AFTER 2010. I seriously, seriously doubt any E30's would need a catalizer.

Edited by antil33t