Sign in to follow this  
Timzbmw

Engine swap for e30?

Hey I own a 1987 Bmw 320i manual. It has a cold sir intake with a revamped fuel system.

But for a 320i it needs a wee bit more power the shell is immaculate with the M tech body kit all around. So buying a new car is not really on the cards.

Im wondering what model engines would bolt strait onto the get-rag 260 gearbox and fit in the engine bay?

Also the rough costs of that?

If there are any other ideas of how to gain more power from the car i am happy to listen. (supercarger turbo ect)

Help would be appreciated :)

Cheers

Edited by Timzbmw

Hey I own a 1987 Bmw 320i manual. It has a cold sir intake with a revamped fuel system.

But for a 320i it needs a wee bit more power the shell is immaculate with the M tech body kit all around. So buying a new car is not really on the cards.

Im wondering what model engines would bolt strait onto the get-rag 260 gearbox and fit in the engine bay?

If there are any other ideas of how to gain more power from the car i am happy to listen. (supercarger turbo ect)

Cheers

upgrade to the 2.5l engine is best bang for buck. You can pick them up for $700 - $1000

upgrade to the 2.5l engine is best bang for buck. You can pick them up for $700 - $1000

If you can, get the 2.5 with late model motronic, ie from a facelift car. Makes the electronics much easier - dont try to use the 320 L Jet system

would also love to know this as i have a 320i auto facelift! need more power and manual!

If you can, get the 2.5 with late model motronic, ie from a facelift car. Makes the electronics much easier - dont try to use the 320 L Jet system

2.5 motronic 1.3 +1

you could even stroke the 2.5 out to 2.8, budget pending

with motronic 1.3 will enable you to chip it

a few guys here have done it

Cheers

So if you decide to go the M20B25 way, I have a project car that is just too far gone rust wise to be a repair, so it looks like I will wreck it. I wll sell the 325 engine for $600, and that is complete from fan to ecu, ie would come with all Motronic gear as below, plus starter, alternator, throttle body, afm etc ... Can still be heard running in the car. But you need to come down to Welly to pick it up - I am not interested in "arranging transport" etc.

So if you decide to go the M20B25 way, I have a project car that is just too far gone rust wise to be a repair, so it looks like I will wreck it. I wll sell the 325 engine for $600, and that is complete from fan to ecu, ie would come with all Motronic gear as below, plus starter, alternator, throttle body, afm etc ... Can still be heard running in the car. But you need to come down to Welly to pick it up - I am not interested in "arranging transport" etc.

Hey thats very helpful i am looking for an engine to put into the car. But alas in am not mechanic and would need help with that would you know the approximate costs of hiring one?

But i am still very interested in the engine cheers.

Hey thats very helpful i am looking for an engine to put into the car. But alas in am not mechanic and would need help with that would you know the approximate costs of hiring one?

But i am still very interested in the engine cheers.

Takes me about 12 hours to remove an engine and about the same to put back - but a mechanic experienced in E30's with all the proper gear can prob do in less than 6 hours each way. There may be a member in the Bay that can recommend someone in your area.

Takes me about 12 hours to remove an engine and about the same to put back - but a mechanic experienced in E30's with all the proper gear can prob do in less than 6 hours each way. There may be a member in the Bay that can recommend someone in your area.

Cheers thank you for the help. Ill see if I can get the transport down to Wellington to pick it up if not I might have to pass on the offer.

if you buy this week and stephen can get it out before midday friday, i will bring it up to you this weekend for $50 to cover the $30 extra gas and a box of beer lol. serious offer btw.

Have done a motor out and back in in under 3 hours before.. No smoko breaks though..

Have done a motor out and back in in under 3 hours before.. No smoko breaks though..

yeah same here, though the first time was longer, helps if you have the tools you need on hand to start with.

Cheers thank you for the help. Ill see if I can get the transport down to Wellington to pick it up if not I might have to pass on the offer.

Greg & I are in Hastings & have all the gear....we will do it for you.....pm for a price

yeah same here, though the first time was longer, helps if you have the tools you need on hand to start with.

I've recently done the M20 2.5ltr to 2.8 etc etc 272 cam balanced headers and chipped

dead square engine and not too tuned as to be tiring to drive all day

really smooth flexible and torquey with heaps of punch

theres a good video of how to build one

marlin sports