Sign in to follow this  
central3

New battery required

Snow here this morning and the M3 wouldn't start (starter clicky but no turny over). On charge for 7 hours and not looking good. The car has been cranking over noticably slower the past few months so not much doubt the battery is U/S. Queried the dealer - new BMW $445 or $667 for a BMW with AGM technology (stands for Absorbant Glass Matt) unit which they say they "fit to all the modern stuff as they last longer, can cope with deep discharges and colder temps". I imagine a run of the mill battery is around $300 (?) - I am keen on keeping this car top notch but do I spend 1.5 or 2 times more on a battery than I possibly need to?

Edited by central3

I paid 360 bucks for a new battery for the e34 that has far more juice in it than a standard one. You'll get a good quality battery for a 3'er for prob less than that. I'd recommend the AA for a decent deal, especially if you're a member.

You don't need to go OEM, but go for a quality brand replacement - HCB etc. The originals are usually Varta & have a great lifespan - usually around 10yrs, often more.

Not sure if yours has a DIN 66 or 92, replace with the size it has though. From memory, mid $300's for DIN 92

Mark, I would say the "3" is probably the same size battery

i got a hella battery from an auto electrician.Dont skimp on the battery,its the basis for a reliable car in the winter.I paid extra for a big hella battery rated exactly as recomended by BMW.But i never had any worries about not being able to start the car even if the parking lights had been on half the night.

The originals were calcium weren't they? Hence the long life. Do the dealers still sell calciums? Mine is date stamped 2003 or 2004, and I wouldn't mind another calcium if that's what it's got. $$$, but long life.

The originals were calcium weren't they? Hence the long life. Do the dealers still sell calciums? Mine is date stamped 2003 or 2004, and I wouldn't mind another calcium if that's what it's got. $$$, but long life.

I'd think most batteries are probably 'calcium' batteries now?

Certainly nothing special anymore.

The originals were calcium weren't they?

I thought this too - but when mine failed at 10 years old to the month it did indeed say Pb on the side when I checked it.

Calcium batteries are still Pb batteries.

In simple terms, they've replaced the antimony with calcium.

Yep they were calcium back then. I have replaced many at work in Beemers over the years, most have been at least 10yrs old, my E39 at just over 11.

Just fitted a DIN 92 to a Benz at work this morning (we are Hella Endurant), cost the youngish woman $370

Had to convince her that was the battery required for that car - replace like with like. The joys of owning a car you can't afford to maintain. :unsure: