Sign in to follow this  
allan

Ignition barrel removal

Have been trying to remove the ignition lock, barrel from it's housing on the steering column. Have read and watched a video of how to do it but I still can not get the barrel to come out. What am I missing, removed the black plastic ring from the barrel assemble, insert the key and turn to upright position, insert metal pin into small hole on the side of the barrel, check position is correct by inserting pin and moving the key, pin then moves inwards some 40mm then turn the pin anti-clock wise and wriggle and pull and the barrel should come out. It didn't so I tried turning the pin clock wise and wriggling it about still no joy. Have I missed something or I have struck one that is going to be a b@33$5h. Would like to get it out undamaged if possible any thoughts ideas please.

Allan you are on the right track. No need to turn the pin either way though - just needs inserting.

The pin simply depresses a spring loaded locking tab to allow the barrel to come out.

Key needs to be on ACC position to allow the tab to depress - not sure off hand if that is actually upright.

I have had them come straight out, have also had trouble with some - depends how you hold your tongue <_<

Just did my e36 about 2 weeks ago and although the vid says in 'on', it is just in the acc position as hotwire said ( many thanks by the way) and is is very easy to do unless it was like mine and was too far gone to be able to get It into acc position so had to drill a small hole and spin the barrel so the latch was above and push a pin up to get it out

Thanks guys will go and have another crack at it.

Tongue must have been in the right place it's out Haha! just needed a little wriggle after inserting the pin. The position I had the key in was a couple of mm off to far round so it's as clear as mud once you can see how it all works thanks Grant.

I had my replacement to practice on so that helped alot, not that I could get mine out that way but can now do it easy as :D

Good to hear you got it