Sign in to follow this  
EuroBoy

Low end lack.

What modifications should i be looking at doing if i wanna be quicker off the mark? i go no where till around 4000rpm, and then the car remembers its running and off it goes. Im sure my mates daihatsu charade is quicker off the mark. How much of this lack is due to my auto-box?

Any help would be sweet

Cheers guys and girls

What is your diff ratio??

tag on the diff get the first three numbers near the bolt that holds it on.

This will change the way that it gets off the mark.

A lot to do with your autobox. My Falcon is the same, nothing until it hits 60kph.

Shortening the diff ratio will get you off the mark quicker, but it will also effect your top end and fuel consumption.

Getting of the mark quicker.. Have your foot on the brake and spool up the torque converter and you will get off the line. As it relies on the centrifugal force to work. Modify the stall converter (if poss on a BMW), but this will make it lurch off the line.

Guest Andrew

its an auto 320 - they don't get off the mark.

Diff ratio would be the win.

Getting of the mark quicker.. Have your foot on the brake and spool up the torque converter and you will get off the line. As it relies on the centrifugal force to work. Modify the stall converter (if poss on a BMW), but this will make it lurch off the line.

Dont forget that this creates heat, heat which is the enemy of the autobox.

If you do this, it will generate a lot more heat wear than usual, so dont be surprised if it gets an accelerated death.

good

all autoboxes should die

all autoboxes should die

Just wait till it hits 170 000 k's or so then 'poof' a good excuse to go manual :P Definatly the diff though, get one out of a 318i that should work. B)

he's talking about the diff. Should fit straight in no worries, just might have to change the flanges depending on whether his 320 has medium or small case diff.

Carl- what did you have in yours from factory, was it 4.27? he'd want to go 4.45 then right?

Edited by petone

It's not just the auto-box, the motronic doesn't put out ANY power at all until 4000rpm which is what he's experiencing. You can change that with a chip :D

For the price of decent chip he could put a manual box in. How did that chip of yours go Carl? Also, read somewhere that the ports are too big for the 2.0 which is why it has pretty poor low down power.

For the price of decent chip he could put a manual box in. How did that chip of yours go Carl? Also, read somewhere that the ports are too big for the 2.0 which is why it has pretty poor low down power.

The 320 has the same throttle body diameter as the 323 and yes i've read that the injection is too big for it make the idle erratic. All you have to do is let it breath :D

The chip has changed the torque curve big time. There's definately more torque down low and in the mid range but I need to dyno it to see what it's really done.

It has, however, f**ked up my idle plus when you tap the pedal when it's idling it dies a little before it revs up - a small price to pay - so i'm thinking I might get another one burnt to raise the idle a couple of hundy as 600rpm is just way to low, would suit an auto but not the manual.

Guest Andrew

the ports are SO small - and made small intentionally. compare a 320 head with 325 head.

Found it, 2 page of the 2.7 article Gus posted:

In fact, the ports were if anything too big for the 2 litre resulting in slow gas speed at low rpm, which explains why they are so gutless down low.

Haven't seen that anywhere else but is a different take on things.

Damn, i screwed this post up 3 times now...

Im currently at 246,000something ks now, had an excuse to go manual a while ago.(well, person before me).

So a chip, a manual conversion and a new diff ratio will be sending me in the right direction? Something about letting it breath carl? As in new induction? K&N panel?

Edited by EuroBoy

Damn, i screwed this post up 3 times now...

Im currently at 246,000something ks now, had an excuse to go manual a while ago.(well, person before me).

So a chip, a manual conversion and a new diff ratio will be sending me in the right direction? Something about letting it breath carl? As in new induction? K&N panel?

Yes, stick in a K&N panel filter and your top end will benefit immensely as they flow quite well. If you have a cat cut it out as that's the BEST mod you can do.

Tane (Deftones) and I both have 320's and we've both done the K&N panel, cat removal, and manual conversion. It works.

Guest Andrew

Found it, 2 page of the 2.7 article Gus posted:

Haven't seen that anywhere else but is a different take on things.

they are gutless up high in the middle and everywhere

the ports are small.

Yes, stick in a K&N panel filter and your top end will benefit immensely as they flow quite well. If you have a cat cut it out as that's the BEST mod you can do.

Tane (Deftones) and I both have 320's and we've both done the K&N panel, cat removal, and manual conversion. It works.

Agreed, the best mods you can do without blowing the bank.... to much :P

While on the subject, is there any difference between the throttle bodies for an auto and manual 325i? And is there any benefit bolting a 325i TB an a 320i? What is a reasonable price to pay for a manual gearbox?

Guest Andrew

No. They are the same.

Budget for about a grand. incl some new parts. not incl labour.

Gearbox Conversion

Your joking -

You can fit the 320/323 TB INSIDE the 325 one.

Question was there a difference between auto and manual?

No they are the same.

And yes there is a benefit in changing them over, put the 325 one on.

Guest Andrew

Question was there a difference between auto and manual?

No they are the same.

And yes there is a benefit in changing them over, put the 325 one on.

my bad - didn't read it.

how difficult is it to swap a throttle body i gotta 1.8i and wat would be the best throttle body for it and any body done this before maybe have some pics?? :ph34r: