Sign in to follow this  
yng_750

Opinions on being a Quantity Surveyor

Ive been doing alot of career planning lately and one of the big options jumping out at me is being a quantity surveyor

mainly due to being very mechanically/construction minded and also having quite a knack for accountancy.

ive read alot online about what to expect but take most of that with a grain of salt

if there are any QS on here i would love you opinion on a couple of questions that are still lingering.

1. I would rather keep working while i study and open polytech allow you to work extramurally, if i stick to it is this still a feasible option or do you really need face to face time with lecturers etc by doing it full time?

2. ive been told QS are in demand but it can be difficult if your new to it, how bad will finding my first job really be?will i have to move to wherever will take me?

3. ive read the pay scales of new, intermediate etc etc but it doesnt say when you move up. realistically if im decent at it how fast could i expect to progress?

4. How flexible do you find the work? is it 60 hours one week then 15 the next? are holidays confined to christmas period, or can you take off whenever?

5. Is it realistically a job where you work for 10 years then start your own firm or do you spend most of your time working for a big company.

Thanks for any help you may offer.

Im sure Greg will have plenty of advice for you when he spots this

i might point out my liking for the idea of studying while working is so i dont have to sell my 540

prioritys are set

You mean Brett old man.

i know nothing about QS, but studying and working is a b*tch. I personally enjoy being busy after a couple years of being unproductive. When you do course readings, assignments, projects etc you'll need an extra kick of motivation to keep up to date and not fall behind whilst maintaining a good grade. Weekends and spare time will need to be used for all of that (holidays and semester breaks for quality Bimmer-ing :P)

As for attending lectures, yes, i would recommend going to them. Depending on your course materials provided, examinable material might only be covered in lectures. Also, lecs make it easier for revision (saves you from learning your material, so exam revision is purely revision, not learning).

Thats my experience and view on your Q(1), after working and being at uni for the past 3+ years

i know nothing about QS, but studying and working is a b*tch.

amen brother but the mortgauges dont pay themselves. I do 8.30 till 9pm four days a week at the moment, hour break between work and school. shes tough.

edit: 8.30am btw LOL

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

yea im guessing work and study at the same time would suck but im not sure i can handle going from good paying salary to a student allowance again,

Actually im damn sure i cant handle that haha

True...Greg wud be incapable of one