Sign in to follow this  
slideways

Timing reference broke off M20 flywheel

Looks like the timing reference tab has broken off my flywheel and smashed the crank sensor to bits in the process.

I havnt pulled the box out yet, just that front lower bellhousing plate and it looks like the tab has been disintegrated as i cant see it sitting there. Theres just a whole lot of shredded crap from the tab and sensor. I painstakingly rotated the motor only to find a small hole where I assume the tab is supposed to be??

Im in the market for a new flywheel but also wanting to consider the option of getting a new tab welded onto my flywheel.

How do i go about doing this? Is the tab magnetic?

not sure you could weld onto a flywheel but is it possible to transfer amrks over onto the flywheel itself?

though id say a new flywheel would be by far the easiest option

Especially if its damaged the ringgear etc

I had this repair carried out by the BM dealer in Rotorua (Autohaus?) about 10 years ago. They re-welded a tab onto the flywheel, Not sure if it tab is magnetic though.

Thanks, I'll make up and weld on a new one and see how we go.

has to be exact in its positon and placement on the flywheel and distance from the sensor . deg from TDC etc etc

has to be exact in its positon and placement on the flywheel and distance from the sensor . deg from TDC etc etc

Yes i realise this and will go off pics I have seen on the web to make mine as close to original as possible. I've read that some people just suffer from poor running only some of the time when the reference tab breaks off as the sensor can still sense where the tab must have been or because of the hole there.

Its easy to see exactly where it should go and im willing to try it. If it works, I'll pull the flywheel back off and get it lightened, machined and balanced while im at it.

Edited by slideways