Sign in to follow this  
rusteee

Viscous coupling holding and spanner tools (sorted, thankyou)

Hi there

Anyone in Auckland has these tools they would like to sell, or I could borrow? Or can suggest somewhere to purchase from. Would rather have the correct tools for the job than trying to make do with something else.

Cheers

Edited by rusteee

32mm spanner can be found at any good tool store.

Flathead screwdriver held between the bolts on the waterpump-I know it does sound rough but it's worked for me every time

i just use the 32mm spanner and shock it off with a hammer. Just remember its a left hand thread

i just use the 32mm spanner and shock it off with a hammer. Just remember its a left hand thread

I did it this way, easy - buy a nice long 32mm though. Mine is some old whitworth or somethig - fits great, but the hammer is AWFUL close to the fan shroud!

Cheers for the advice, would the shock from the hammer not damage the water pump or pulley bearings?

I'm hoping to find the 2 proper tools, but if not I suppose I will try the screwdriver method

That's the way it shows in my Haynes manual. Wouldn't of thought it would damage the waterpump. Basicly the same effect as a rattle gun.

The drive belt will slip before anything bad happens. If you do it right, you shouldn't damage anything. If you miss with the hammer though....

it doesn't take much force, but the hammer blows have to be tidy and firm. If the spanner is too short, you'll be faffing about trying too hard to miss stuff with the hammer.

it is a commonly used method.

That's the way it shows in my Haynes manual. Wouldn't of thought it would damage the waterpump. Basicly the same effect as a rattle gun.

Oh yea thats all good just thought I'd make sure. I do have the Haynes manual but it tells you to drop the coolant and everything, and I'd really rather not do that if its not overly necessary with a bit of extra care.

I managed to get mine out with radiator still in place in the 328i and yea pretty sure Haynes manual said you have to remove it but alot of things they say you need to do you can get away without doing.

the 32mm spanners from SCA are perfect, and only like $20 - "lifetime warranty"

the 32mm spanners from SCA are perfect, and only like $20 - "lifetime warranty"

That's the same as what I've got haha. Got the full 6mm-32mm and havn't had any issues. Who needs snap-on aye?

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated. Went to SCA and got the 32mm spanner, the damn thing was only done up finger tight, did'nt have to hold the pulley or anything, barely put force on and it came undone... scary thought lol. All done anyways, now it sounds like a truck at the lights :rolleyes: hoping this will fix my pinging issue to... will see. Again thanks for the advice!! Rocker cover gaskets next...

just thought i would mention, got that same 32mm sca spanner but i use a peice of wood to hit it, wider surface means less chance of hitting and breaking other stuff and you get basically the same farce through to the bit of wood as the hammer.

just another method for those with no aim with a hammer haha