Sign in to follow this  
scottharvey

starter motor help

I have just changed the starter motor in my e30 what a pain that was. So all of thats done i have put all the wires in the correct places, but my windows and heater fan doesnt work. But when i open my door the windows will then work but when you shut it they then stop again. Is there anyway to get them working or to bypass something to make this all work again.

Please help me

Cheers Scott

I have just changed the starter motor in my e30 what a pain that was. So all of thats done i have put all the wires in the correct places, but my windows and heater fan doesnt work. But when i open my door the windows will then work but when you shut it they then stop again. Is there anyway to get them working or to bypass something to make this all work again.

Please help me

Cheers Scott

all i can say is you arent the only person that has found that after a starter swap. I dont know the fix though :S

all i can say is you arent the only person that has found that after a starter swap. I dont know the fix though :S

Haha that is wierd?

Can't be linked to starter though.

Haha that is wierd?

Can't be linked to starter though.

Tis Greg <_<

The unloader relay wire is not connected to the starter - open circuits the relay while cranking to relieve non essential electrics during cranking

Tis Greg <_<

The unloader relay wire is not connected to the starter - open circuits the relay while cranking to relieve non essential electrics during cranking

agreed

maybe a prefacelift starter was fitted to a facelift??

Jon, both version starters have the provision for this on the solenoid, at least all the units I have had of each type have had.

Jon, both version starters have the provision for this on the solenoid, at least all the units I have had of each type have had.

the reason i asked was because I've seen wires hacked off facelift models, with poorly crimped on terminals for prefacelift spade termaninal solenoids, when a prefacelift starter is fitted

I've seen the unloader relay wire either completely forgotten about, or poor crimp connections and in a worst case , it must have been yanked to change to a spade termaninal and had a break further up in the loom

all good

jon

^^^^^ My guess he connected the unloader trigger wire onto the starter solenoid terminal as is required to complete the circuit. That or he permanently earthed the trigger wire which will negate the circuit opening during cranking.

i put a pre facelift starter on the facelift which was a bit harder to a do up the bolts because its huge but the connection on the the small wire had a sh*t connection so i just ran a new earth and now its as good as new.

i had the same issue with mine but was putting an m52 in it, after looking through lots of wiring diagrams i found all the wires were grounded in the same spot (near passengers seat apparently), never found the spot, just pulled the fuse box apart, found the other end of the wire and made my own grounding point near the shock tower. just something to keep in mind if anything like this happens again. my fan now blows better than it ever did aswell, and windows seam to have more power

i had the same issue with mine but was putting an m52 in it, after looking through lots of wiring diagrams i found all the wires were grounded in the same spot (near passengers seat apparently), never found the spot, just pulled the fuse box apart, found the other end of the wire and made my own grounding point near the shock tower. just something to keep in mind if anything like this happens again. my fan now blows better than it ever did aswell, and windows seam to have more power

This wire simply earths the unloader relay via the starter, it is NOT a constant earth as you talk of & it has nothing to do with how well the accesorries operate - the relay simply switches power to the associated circuits - either on or off - depending on starter activation.

The wire can easily be accessed via C101 engine loom plug - rather than pulling the fuse box apart.