Sign in to follow this  
Deano

4Hp22 advice on compatibility in E30s

Will the later hydraulic auto (4hp22) work in the E30s with the 4hp22eh electronic boxes?

Edited by Deano

Do you need an EH? My E30 has an EH with sports mode and other bs, and the M20 is being removed for an M52.. so I won't be needing it.

Do you need an EH? My E30 has an EH with sports mode and other bs, and the M20 is being removed for an M52.. so I won't be needing it.

PM sent

have both options , if you get stuck

Do you know if you can use the later "non electronic" box to replace the 4HP22EH electronic?

Do you know if you can use the later "non electronic" box to replace the 4HP22EH electronic?

why would you want to despec teh car by doing that

the eh type is upspeced thing and they work much better at changing gears than the basic low spec kick down cable type of trans .

why do you think all the newer bmw's use a sports ,ecno ,manual switch on there trans.

, but yes you could fit one of the older basic type ones in there , just as long as you get the kick down cable and brackets etc to hook upto the throttle body etc

why would you want to despec teh car by doing that

the eh type is upspeced thing and they work much better at changing gears than the basic low spec kick down cable type of trans .

why do you think all the newer bmw's use a sports ,ecno ,manual switch on there trans.

, but yes you could fit one of the older basic type ones in there , just as long as you get the kick down cable and brackets etc to hook upto the throttle body etc

The trans I have thats failed is in 1987 325 and has the sport mode switch. Was looking at a trans from 1990 model without the sport mode switch so not an "older" type..

The trans I have thats failed is in 1987 325 and has the sport mode switch. Was looking at a trans from 1990 model without the sport mode switch so not an "older" type..

maybe be newer but its the cheaper down spec'd option.

they dont work as well at down shifts etc.

a lot less fun to drive with.

The EH model isnt that much flasher... If you're worried about it been "fun to drive" manual convert it.

I know manual is the preferred option but the question was:

Will the later hydraulic auto (4hp22) work in the E30s with the 4hp22eh electronic boxes?

Anyone?

I know manual is the preferred option but the question was:

Anyone?

NO.

but if removed all the good mech parts from the std box and fitted them to your EH box then yes,

Yes it will. Just need kick down cable and brackets

this. will definately bolt up etc etc. only issue i can see you running into is it may have inhibitor wiring issues though, something to research before you get stuck in.

Yes it will. Just need kick down cable and brackets

and remove all the faggot wiring from the boot for the TCU.

EH fitted cars have a different TPS too.

this. will definately bolt up etc etc. only issue i can see you running into is it may have inhibitor wiring issues though, something to research before you get stuck in.

Inhibitor is part of the gear selector, so wont be a problem.

FYI:

In the end bought a complete trans from 89 525i. It was an EH so had the same electrical connection on the side which means it has the same valve body assembly and that being version E7 5 solenoid type.

The only difference was the gear stick connection was on the drivers side as opposed to left side. This can be made to work for the E30 but the other way ie E30 trans to 525i would have to be drilled as on the E30 trans there is no hole for the rhs gear select shaft.

Few other things to check when looking at 4HP22s is size of the toque converters as apparently 3 different sizes and the output flange can be 3 bolt or 4 bolt.

So the problem turned out to be the MV5 solenoid which is the main pressure control valve which explains why there was no drive at all, no pump pressure.

Here is the tech guide ZF_20Tech_20Guide.pdf

Yeah, they have different output flanges and also different tail housings depending on what they were used for. Bell housings also different depending on what it came off.

All easy stuff to swap over though.

Inhibitor is part of the gear selector, so wont be a problem.

you need to short it out though. i had to when i manual converted my E30 320i back in the day.

This thread is about replacing it with another auto box, it dosent need to be shorted out.

This thread is about replacing it with another auto box, it dosent need to be shorted out.

ahh yip didnt reread the thread again