Sign in to follow this  
aw-krazy

e34 noisy tappets

I have noticed in the past weeks that tappets are starting to get noisy and go to the rpm of the engine, i was just wondering if switching to thinner or thicker oil would be good for it?, i used castrol GTX modern engine oil.

PLEASE HELP :D

Ah, adjust them to spec first? They arent hydraulic so shouldnt be affected by viscosity

Ah, adjust them to spec first? They arent hydraulic so shouldnt be affected by viscosity

It is a M50 vanos engine, you sure they aint hydraulic?

whoops sorry too many calc's late at night do that to the brain, you are right they are hydraulic- I was thinking M20.

There is a very slim chance that they are sticking, otherwise the only real fix is replacement lifters. Years ago on an M40 I had mine go within a matter of weeks also. In saying all of that, I hear good things about MBL8 additive from Mitsubishi for quietening noise lifters.

Thicker oil should technically help but I never found that it did

whoops sorry too many calc's late at night do that to the brain, you are right they are hydraulic- I was thinking M20.

There is a very slim chance that they are sticking, otherwise the only real fix is replacement lifters. Years ago on an M40 I had mine go within a matter of weeks also. In saying all of that, I hear good things about MBL8 additive from Mitsubishi for quietening noise lifters.

Thicker oil should technically help but I never found that it did

Okay, thanks heaps for that, ill try that out :D what kind of viscosity should i be using? i think at the moment im running on 10w40

10w40 would be fine.

I use Penrite HPR 10w-50 in my M50.

Mitsubishi sell their own oil additive now.

Other thing is to do a few oil changes at short intervals to "flush" out any crap.

drop in a bottle of lifter cleaner

15w40 should be the thinest oil you should be using for an old engine like an M50.

Cheers! might try an oil change and do 10W50 and add some lifter cleaner and let it idle for a while :D

Maybe some "Italian tune up" will help.

Edited by SpikeyLemon