Sign in to follow this  
qube

E36 318ti 1996 - new daily driver

Hi everyone,

so after looking around for a e46/e39/e90 for a few months, i actually ended up picking up a very tidy 318ti 1996 just under 160,000kms..

its nothing special but it will be my daily until i find a nice e46/e39/e90 that i like instead of settling for an average one.

anyways.. its a japanese import that came in at 60k kms in 2005.

outside is pretty straight, just a few dings here and there, interior is actually very very clean.

will update with more photos later..

Posted Image

Posted Image

now theres one problem with the car:

sometimes when i start the car, the car will idle from 700 up and down and SOMETIMES turn off.

now from the little bit of research i did online, it may be- ICV, camshaft sensor, some other sensor, vacuum hose broken, and some other things i didnt quite understand.

the cars engine seems to be fine, no knocking noises or anything.. everything else seems good so far.

i dont really see any problems yet but if anyone has experience with this model please let me know in this thread.

i THINK this is the m42 engine not the m44?

anyways thanks :)

the pcv will need replacing of not done already. they will cause it to idle funny depending if hot or cold etc

so i realised the day after i bought the car that the rubber hose? that connects from the air filter box to the throttle body was completely off and not connected to the TB!!! just put it back on and has been running pretty good for the past 3 days, engine hasnt cut off once, good!

but the idle still "wobbles" a bit when first starting the car, then runs fine mostly.. occasionally having a little shake while at the traffic lights but nothing major.

will get around do cleaning up the ICV or replace, maybe need to look at fuel pump?

discovered another problem.. an oil leak.... :(

i have yet to hoist it up and find the cause but im hoping its just a oil filter housing leak from the o-rings and seal and nothing else too serious..

any ideas?

i needed to get some new tyres as one is nearly bald and instead of spending $80 or whatever on a new tyre i ended up picking u a set of ACS 16x8's on GT radial champiro 128's, not sure if hes on the forum..

getting them balanced as i speak and will get them put on this afternoon after work :)

pics of the mags:

Posted Image

Posted Image

:)

Edited by QUBE

replace the pcv valve, that will fix the rough idle when cold.

just had a look under the car, the oil drips from here, not sure if this is the source of the leak or its dripping from above somewhere..

Posted Image

also, the car belts at the front of the engine behind the radiator fan is making a squealing noise.. any ideas?

thanks

Edited by QUBE

Cam cover = oil leak

Belt noise = idler pulley

Pcv on side of engine block under the inlet manifold

All stuff I had to do on my compact.

And get the stuff ready for a cooling system over haul. You will need to do it if not already done.

And do the cabin filter, under the panel back of engine bay. Bet that has never been done.

Cam cover = oil leak

Belt noise = idler pulley

Pcv on side of engine block under the inlet manifold

All stuff I had to do on my compact.

And get the stuff ready for a cooling system over haul. You will need to do it if not already done.

And do the cabin filter, under the panel back of engine bay. Bet that has never been done.

After those things did you have any other problems?

Do I need to replace them with new parts from bmw?

Is it simple DIY? Sorry I'm not much of a mechanic..

Thanks

yes , pretty easy , hard to get at the allen key underneath.

do i need to get a brand new part or just a second hand one okay?

do i need to get a brand new part or just a second hand one okay?

they last about 10 years or about 100,000km , so you decide