Sign in to follow this  
JiB

E30 hazard light buttons

Hi all, was wondering if anyone has e30 hazard light buttons lying around for free/cheap? Kicking myself for giving away all the e30 bits I had a couple of years ago haha.

Would like as many buttons as possible to cut up/break as I'm trying to see if I can:

1) incorporate my garage door remote into my dash.

2) fit a row of LEDs in another button housing as a oil temperature gauge and oil pressure gauge.

3) make an aerial switch, annoys me when it pops up even if I'm not using the radio.

Also, if anyone knows of someone else already doing the above, please do share - I'd love to have to think less :P

i have used a big e28 fog light switch in my e28 for switching the aerial off ,for the same reason.

see the switch to the left of the stereo. same size as e30.

have some hazard switches iff needed

post-279-1346704029.jpg

ive only ever purchased sony head units and they only activate the aerial when you go to the radio setting! will be a very easy thing to do though, you just need to put the switch somewhere along the trigger line. garage door remote would be fine too, just need to de solder the current switch off the board, solder on some wires and a witch to end of those, done.

Yes! Exactly that is was thinking of for the oil temp, was going to use a mounted breadboard in the dash somewhere instead of a pcb though.

i have used a big e28 fog light switch in my e28 for switching the aerial off ,for the same reason.

see the switch to the left of the stereo. same size as e30.

have some hazard switches iff needed

Hi Brent, yeah I have a blank slot in my hvac control (no AC), might bung a defrost switch in there for the antenna switch and leave the ones closer to the driver for oil pressure warning and oil temp.

Posted Image

ive only ever purchased sony head units and they only activate the aerial when you go to the radio setting! will be a very easy thing to do though, you just need to put the switch somewhere along the trigger line. garage door remote would be fine too, just need to de solder the current switch off the board, solder on some wires and a witch to end of those, done.

I really don't like aftermarket looking head units in e30s (or bmw for that matter). Very happy with my oem one (see pic), it has aux in the glovebox, just don't like the look of the antenna, so will only use it when necessary :) Edited by JiB

The Sony head units look good. They are black with red lighting. So match the rest of the car.

For the garage door mod are you just going to pull apart a existing door remote or are you going to buy or build a programmable one?

I think I have a whole heap of these switches at home. Will have a look tonight. I'm just in Milford these days.

The Sony head units look good. They are black with red lighting. So match the rest of the car.

For the garage door mod are you just going to pull apart a existing door remote or are you going to buy or build a programmable one?

I think I have a whole heap of these switches at home. Will have a look tonight. I'm just in Milford these days.

I'm trying to bring my iS back to a factory looking example, so if anything looks modified I don't want it in my car, gonna be a bit stricter on myself or it's going to be a slippery slope to another heavy modified e30!

I'm going hunting for a small enough programmable one, otherwise I'll just remote mount an existing board in the dash somewhere. The plus side is the ability to have the antenna in a nice prominent place like going up the side of the windscreen so range is going to be awesome I hope!

Oh sweet, you have my number I think. Give me a text, I'm just in Birkdale. :)

I have a hazard light switch you can have if you pick it up.

I really don't like aftermarket looking head units in e30s (or bmw for that matter). Very happy with my oem one (see pic), it has aux in the glovebox, just don't like the look of the antenna, so will only use it when necessary :)

Ironically that is a Sony headunit. It's an XR-7300.

I have one missing a button that I want to use, but... it looks silly without it's button.

Any RDS head unit will also keep the power antennae up all the time, as it's a requirement.

I have a hazard light switch you can have if you pick it up.

Sweet have given you a text. Chur.

Ironically that is a Sony headunit. It's an XR-7300.

I have one missing a button that I want to use, but... it looks silly without it's button.

Any RDS head unit will also keep the power antennae up all the time, as it's a requirement.

lol, not sure there's any irony here. I don't mind what brand the head unit is, as long as it looks period (wanky, I know).