Sign in to follow this  
kevinator9

M10 Issues

Hi All,

Having a few running oddities with the M10, wondering if anyone might know what's up.

Here is a list of symptoms I have come up with to help as best I can describe.

-When idling the idle is around 600~650RPM and surges every so often. It seems to me as though it surges low instead of high (is in it chokes and starts to die then recovers).

-From a stand still if I accelerate slowly it is ok, if I accelerate moderately or quickly the car will hesitate off the line and then go.

-When accelerating from 0~2500RPM the surge still occurs and the car seems to be held back a little and hesitate. It is fine over 2500~3000RPM. If I floor it, it seems to accelerate very cleanly.

-If I force the car to shift down a gear through the auto-box while I am braking I will occasionally hear it backfiring out the exhaust.

-I had an issue with an old battery and had to jumpstart a few times. This caused on one occasion a huge backfire which blew apart my brand new exhaust. I now have a brand new battery in the car and haven't had to jumpstart it again. Starts first time every time now. Not sure if this is an underlying issue or was an issue due to the old dead battery.

That's about the jist of it. It is getting a service over the weekend and the start of next week. Oil change, new sparkplugs, all belts are being replaced, radiator flush, front crankseal is being replaced, tappets/valves are being adjusted and the distributor cap and rotor are being replaced.

I would like to know where to look to sort out the funny running so when I get a new exhaust it doesn't get destroyed. Just needs a tune up? In my very limited knowledge it seems to me as though it could be running fairly rich.

Thanks.

Edited by kevinator9

Not suggesting this is your problem but if it turns out you need a new inline fuel pump let me know. I just got 2 brand new ones. Fingers crossed the service will fix.

Also, like me you might get a better response posting M10 queries on here;

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=145

sounds like it could be the throttle position sensor?

Vacuum leak? Check the hoses etc and spray something like carb cleaner around the engine / manifold etc and see if the engine idles changes. If it does, you have a leak.

Thanks for the tips guys.

A general clean up and overhaul seems to have fixed the problem.

New dizzy rotor and cap, new oil and filter, new air filter, new sparkplugs and new exhaust means it is running super smooth and quiet!