Sign in to follow this  
NZ BMW

Cooling system overhaul

Hi Team,

I was of the impression that I'd done the recommended cooling system overhaul of my E39. I ask this because I started the car after work the other day and the dreaded "CHECK COOLANT LEVEL" flashed up as soon as I started. Luckily I live in a constant state of paranoia and have been carrying around about 3L of premixed BMW coolant in my boot for about six months, so I was able to simply fill the expansion tank to the required level and return home.

The expansion tank still had coolant in it so it was just triggering the sensor by the looks of it. The last work I had done on the cooling system was back in July and I've done just over 1000km's of mainly city driving since then. Here's what I've replaced:

Radiator

Upper radiator hose

Lower radiator hose

Water pump

Expansion tank

Bleeder screw(s)

Radiator cap

Thermostat & housing

Is there anything I'm missing?

Heater hoses? etc?

I will have my mechanic pressure test the system when it's next in for a service which is soon.

Thanks in advance,

Nathan.

Edited by NZ BMW

It could have just had a small air lock/bubble somewhere in the system that has worked it's way out.

I know that state of paranoia I have done a full re con of my 530i too, still checking the fluid every week!

could be the heater matrix circuit? could also be a minor crack in the head gasket (just age, nothing to worry about) thats letting water into the combustion chamber. my Mercedes did that.

I'd be suprised if the head gasket was damaged on a car that has just clicked over to 130k km

What's the heater matrix circut?

I'd be suprised if the head gasket was damaged on a car that has just clicked over to 130k km

What's the heater matrix circut?

inside heater core .

have seen cars with 68k have the head gasket go.

can be due to one ot 2 overheating issues which can weaken it , or corrsion with age etc

inside heater core .

have seen cars with 68k have the head gasket go.

can be due to one ot 2 overheating issues which can weaken it , or corrsion with age etc

I know what you're saying but I don't see any mixing of oil and coolant, nor do I smell any coolant burning whilst driving or after parking. I also don't have any white smoke from the exhaust or engine.

I guess the only way for sure is to have the system tested - isn't there a test for combustion gases entering the cooling system?

My mechanic's invoice states they pressure tested the system after the work in July which I think would indicate a leak too.

I know what you're saying but I don't see any mixing of oil and coolant, nor do I smell any coolant burning whilst driving or after parking. I also don't have any white smoke from the exhaust or engine.

I guess the only way for sure is to have the system tested - isn't there a test for combustion gases entering the cooling system?

My mechanic's invoice states they pressure tested the system after the work in July which I think would indicate a leak too.

hi i wasn't saying yours has a leaky head gasket.

yes you should get a tk test done to see if any gases getting into the coolant system.

all plastic coolant pipes and any plastic parts in the coolant system should be changed about every 100,000km or 10years etc,

also check

viscous fan clutch coupling , water pump , thermostat and radiator.

also check the operation of the 2 speed aux fan.

electric water valve/tap for the heater system??

hi i wasn't saying yours has a leaky head gasket.

yes you should get a tk test done to see if any gases getting into the coolant system.

all plastic coolant pipes and any plastic parts in the coolant system should be changed about every 100,000km or 10years etc,

also check

viscous fan clutch coupling , water pump , thermostat and radiator.

also check the operation of the 2 speed aux fan.

electric water valve/tap for the heater system??

Yup, like I've said I'm pretty sure I've replaced all the plastic parts per my first post. But from what I understand the other place suggested is the valve/tap for the heater system?

I'm not sure how the aux fans and the fan clutch can leak coolant but for what it's worth I have replaced the whole aux fan unit on this car already and the operation of the new unit has been tested and okay-ed back in 2011. Recently I also did my own old school "hand test" on the viscous fan clutch. With the car off it is smooth to move but feels like it's in molasses. If it's excessively "free wheeling" or sticky it usually indicates a problem.

So working on the assumption that none of the new parts are defective again already my loss of coolant could be:

Air bubble

Heater valve

Heater core

Head gasket