Sign in to follow this  
charles28

E30 Vibration issue, M20B25 ** fixed maybe **

What camera are you using? It's taking vibration control to a new level haha.

What camera are you using? It's taking vibration control to a new level haha.

Thats thanks to Youtube advising me to apply those settings.

I was using my HTC One V

Righto, attempt 2 at valve adjustment, I took my time this time and double checked each valve.

I took it for a 20min drive before the Vid and didn't detect any vibration, engine is running smoother also.

Sweet!

Wierdly, I was in Dads today, and it has a weird almost-miss/vibraton at idle :o His valve adjustment is very due, but we're doing the cambelt soon, so will do it all then.

Glad it's better, hope it STAYS that way!!!

As it turns out, my Viscous fan is stuffed, as in after driving for 30mins in traffic I could stop it spinning by using a rolled up piece of paper.

I still have the vibration, but i'm convinced its the fan, so I will take it out.

Is it safe to rely on the Fan on the front of the radiator that cools the A/C condenser? ( My AC belt is removed, but with A/C turned on this fan is running).

Cheers

As it turns out, my Viscous fan is stuffed, as in after driving for 30mins in traffic I could stop it spinning by using a rolled up piece of paper.

I still have the vibration, but i'm convinced its the fan, so I will take it out.

Is it safe to rely on the Fan on the front of the radiator that cools the A/C condenser? ( My AC belt is removed, but with A/C turned on this fan is running).

Cheers

No Don't! The A/C fan is pushing into the condenser (in front of the radiator) Replace the viscous

No Don't! The A/C fan is pushing into the condenser (in front of the radiator) Replace the viscous

Turns out its not the fan causing the vibration.

I'm starting to think its the exhaust, thinking back, its only started since I installed the support bracket from gearbox to exhaust, i assume the exhaust on an auto is differn't to a manual also, so perhaps i'm on the right track (my car was a factory auto, but converted to manual).

What would happen if the manual conversion was completed without a pilot bearing being installed into the crank ?(Automatic's don't come with it apparently).

I just checked the paperwork, there was a Spigot Bearing listed, for about $7, I assume there is only 1x Spigot bearing?

Edited by Charles32

Umm dunno but I certainly wouldn't leave it like that...

Exhaust auto - manual is no different from memory, bracketing to box may vary - can't recall

1 spigot bearing - yup

Edited by hotwire

Umm dunno but I certainly wouldn't leave it like that...

Exhaust auto - manual is no different from memory, bracketing to box may vary - can't recall

1 spigot bearing - yup

Have used a bracket from a 1987 Tech 1 Manual (that all my parts came from) it bolted on fine (The auto one didn't), but I better check that the exhaust isn't contacting the chassis somewhere, but would have thought if this was the case that it would happen all the time and not after driving for some time.

I will detach that bracket again, as I did drive the car for a week without one and during that time I didn't recall having a vibration issue

Cheers

Exhaust vibration could develop after running time. When hot the pipe expands quite substantialy in length. Look for a close fit length wise - eg muffler

I removed most of the bracket, that holds the exhaust to the gearbox and went for a good drive, within 10 mins I has the usual Vibration and drone.

However I discovered I can make it go away for a few minutes at a time if I drive the car hard for a few seconds..

ie, 6000rpm.

I Can then happily cruise at 1500rpm without the vibration, of course, a few minutes later its back.

I did the same thing 3 times with the same result. (Once while the car wasn't moving) and each time the result was the same, I could get a few minutes of peace without the annoying vibration.

I still haven't been able to resolve this issue and its doing my head in.

However I'm wondering if the issue could be anything to do with me using pre-facelift parts for my manual conversion, ie, my cars a facelift 1989, the parts are from a nznew 1987 Motorsport 325i.

The gearbox has some connectors on it not used on my car, could I have a problem with the flywheel?

I've had the exhaust checked out and added a resonator, however this hasn't changed anything.

This noise is best described as a Howling sound, that causes a vibration to be felt through the pedals. (this is when the car is either stationary or moving) and only happens around 1500-2000rpm approx, this sometimes happens straight away, or after driving for a little while.

If I stab the throttle to redline the issue is cured for about 3-5mins at a time.

Did you use a new release bearing when you did the manual conversion? Could be the release bearing on the way out??

Did you use a new release bearing when you did the manual conversion? Could be the release bearing on the way out??

That was brand new, its not that kind of noise though.

Today I tried to climb under the car and investigate.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm wondering if that Metal bracket by the exhaust is an issue, its quite bendable with my hand.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I assume that bracket is some kind of heat shield?

Cheers

Charles

Mmmm I think I have an idea on what the issue is..

Ryco Oil Filter, thinking back, the issue started after an Oil change, I used a Ryco Filter, didn't think anything of it, was all I could get on the weekend.

But then I read http://forums.eurocca.net/showthread.php/2...ryco-oil-filter!

I've been told Fram filters are crap, but it might be all I can get hold of tomorrow, anyone know?

Cheers

I might have solved the issue with the car.

That is it hasn't played up since I re-sealed these parts (Circled in Orange).

Both pieces could be removed easily and didn't seem to be sealed with anything, so I used some RTV.

The brake one on the right side of the pic was actually popping out of its socket about 1/2 way. (If you just pressed it back in).

Posted Image