Sign in to follow this  
berjjj

About time... e21

Hey all, my name is Berj, long time lurker yet only just managed to grab my first bimmer you probably saw it in the FS threads.

It's an '81 318i fuel injected 5speed, runs mint, stacks of receipts, picked it up from Christchurch and drove it home overnight to Auckland! One hell of a drive in the stormy weather, stock suspension and minimal tread width made it interesting, but we made it.

Planning an m42 swap in the near future, no idea where to start though, I'd be willing to do the work myself but a lack of tools and garage space is a bit sh*t at the mo. Has anyone here done this swap before and can detail what's involved? Another option would be to pay a garage to do it, but only if I'm unable to diy it and at a reasonable rate.

Pictures, obviously what you came here for:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was considering buying that myself but have too many projects on the go and the missus would of shot me haha. Love the single headlight e21 and hopefully when I've finished playing with the ones I've got il be able to find one as tidy as this.

Welcome to bimmersport and look forward to seeing what you have instore for this e21

hey man

nice car

ive got one also same colour , jealous of your single headlights...mines 1.8 carb 4 speed though

in the future id love to do a engine swap etc , these cars are getting unique now

I saw this a few days ago, maybe you were leaving Christchurch. Shame its gone up to Auckland :(

I was considering buying that myself but have too many projects on the go and the missus would of shot me haha. Love the single headlight e21 and hopefully when I've finished playing with the ones I've got il be able to find one as tidy as this.

Welcome to bimmersport and look forward to seeing what you have instore for this e21

Thanks, yeah pretty glad I managed to get funds together in time, it's pretty tidy but as there's more to do as always.

hey man

nice car

ive got one also same colour , jealous of your single headlights...mines 1.8 carb 4 speed though

in the future id love to do a engine swap etc , these cars are getting unique now

Don't knock the carbs! I really would have been stoked with either, throw on a pair of webers and that m10 will sing.

I saw this a few days ago, maybe you were leaving Christchurch. Shame its gone up to Auckland :(

That would have been me mate, though it'll be kept far away from the nightmare mall parking lots.

join bmmerforums and go to the e21 section heaps of info and gurus will answer any of the questions if they cant be answered here

you planning on lowering her? im doing some searching at the moment ..wheel options are minimal also but can be done with spacers etc but thats another route obviously

Thats one nice looking e21 you have there. Congrats!

Cheers.

join bmmerforums and go to the e21 section heaps of info and gurus will answer any of the questions if they cant be answered here

you planning on lowering her? im doing some searching at the moment ..wheel options are minimal also but can be done with spacers etc but thats another route obviously

Ah I've lurked there for a while now, might post but I suck at keeping track of threads on one forum let alone two! Lowering is in the works, I've had a heap of recommendations for a simple spring/damper combo but really keen on some sort of coilover set up (not for max slammage yo, just the range of adjustability is something I have really gotten used to with previous cars). Has anyone here had experience with gaz coilovers? Other option is a koni/GC combo but that requires welding, also heard that a rear strut bar is recommended for support if you're going with coils. What have you come across? Keen to see what yourself and others have done.

I think the key to wheel fitment is a low offset to clear the front struts?

i haven't had mine for long so im lurking as well

id like coil overs also really .. theres a guy on here name is Hans that can sort some coil overs he mentioned to me to let him know when im ready ..unsure of brand etc

yes thats correct offset needs to be at least 10 - 15 for the front if i remember correctly ,

let me know if you find anything parts wise maybe grab them together..

i haven't had mine for long so im lurking as well

id like coil overs also really .. theres a guy on here name is Hans that can sort some coil overs he mentioned to me to let him know when im ready ..unsure of brand etc

yes thats correct offset needs to be at least 10 - 15 for the front if i remember correctly ,

let me know if you find anything parts wise maybe grab them together..

Ah any idea of a price range? I'll give him a pm seeing as all our current options are from overseas and way pricey.

Sounds good mate, just had a look at the e21 being wrecked in hamilton, someone had a go at the dash before I turned up and had cracked the mounting tabs, fml. It has a mint quad light front grill if you were keen on a replacement? otherwise nothing else really worth salvaging.

i hit him up but he says they would be expensive i dont like that word haha

overseas could be good , maybe make a post on bimmerforums..few of them say ground control i see

yea i seen that one in hamilton i want the seats as my rear one is ripped , mine is quad i wouldn't mine single headlight , hint hint lol

mines not as tidy as yours though , be keen to check yours out sometime snap a few pics together

Hmm how expensive? What if we got the hardware in ourselves (GC/KONI diy setup is actually a damn good price) and handed it over to him to cut/shorten/weld up?

Which rear seats mate? The light tan ones are inside somewhere, but if you're looking at the blue/silver beemer the rear seats are long gone, front leathers (not stock) are there though.

Hah never getting rid of the single lights sorry, they look so right (not rubbing it in honest). If I ever come across them at the wreckers you'll be the first to know however.

Keen as for a meet/grab some pics whenever, it isn't quite as tidy as in pictures to be honest but I'm usually off work at half 5, have Sunday/Monday off too. Or even at the labour weekend meet?

Suspension wise look 323i front struts as they have larger diameter insert tubes with various options of spring shock combo plus the 323s have thicker sway bars front and rear

Disc rear end helps and I used shortened adjustable konis (40mm) with std springs which works great

Urethane everywhere 15/60/205 tyres and they handle pretty damn good

Hey all, my name is Berj, long time lurker yet only just managed to grab my first bimmer you probably saw it in the FS threads.

It's an '81 318i fuel injected 5speed, runs mint, stacks of receipts, picked it up from Christchurch and drove it home overnight to Auckland! One hell of a drive in the stormy weather, stock suspension and minimal tread width made it interesting, but we made it.

Planning an m42 swap in the near future, no idea where to start though, I'd be willing to do the work myself but a lack of tools and garage space is a bit sh*t at the mo. Has anyone here done this swap before and can detail what's involved? Another option would be to pay a garage to do it, but only if I'm unable to diy it and at a reasonable rate.

Pictures, obviously what you came here for:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Welcome to the Forum,

From J & K

Jk southern Euro

Suspension wise look 323i front struts as they have larger diameter insert tubes with various options of spring shock combo plus the 323s have thicker sway bars front and rear

Disc rear end helps and I used shortened adjustable konis (40mm) with std springs which works great

Urethane everywhere 15/60/205 tyres and they handle pretty damn good

Thanks for the info, will keep that in mind for sure. Have emailed rpm UK about possible discounts on group purchases of their coilover setups and waiting for a reply at the moment, I know one owner that would be keen, anyone else interested?

Welcome to the Forum,

From J & K

Jk southern Euro

Cheers man, if you have a closer look at the pics you'll be able to spot plate surrounds from your shop, fairly sure the car has been through your parts at one stage or another!