Sign in to follow this  
Greg111

Remap and possible 288 cam.

Hi guys, i'm at the stage of remapping the E36, i've done everything else to it, (yes we all remember the S/C stint).

I've been told there are varing gains vis remapping for the M3 which from peoples experiance look quite appetizing.

I had it dyno'd before the charger was on and it was putting out 284bhp at the flywheel, now standard they are 286bhp and i've always understood that a twenty odd year old car would have lost around 15-20% power through wear and what not so perhaps it has had a dyno tune of some sort already, I know it's definitly not a standard car by any means.

Right the question is, is Gavin still operating in Auckland? He is still the man to talk to?

Next question, 288 cam, significant gains? Have no issues fitting one and I understand they can still be fitted with the Vanos left in place, I believe Nasty has one in his?

Both are options seriously concidered, have just purchaced a house and am expecting my first child very soon (days away) so only want to do one or the other at this stage before there is no money left to do anything haha. Responsible huh

Any info is much appreciated, peoples experiance with one or both?

Chur.

Yeah, Gav's still in Aucks, Southside now with Ross Lamb at BM Workshop.

Still the man.

I dont really know what im talking about, but wouldn't it be logical to do the cam first, even if gains are less, and then get it remapped to the new cam when your kid graduates university?

I dont really know what im talking about, but wouldn't it be logical to do the cam first, even if gains are less, and then get it remapped to the new cam when your kid graduates university?

Thanks Foxy, i'll get in contact with him.

Andy, that could work yes but would more than likely need a remap for it to work correctly and am not too keen on waiting 18 years haha.

Time and money isn't an issue, but would prefer to do one and then the other later down the track when things come, i'm talking 12-18 months but would still like to take out every now and then for a blat for the interim.

To get the most out of the cam you will need to remap it. You will still get gains from the cams on their own without remap. would make sense to get cams first and then remap after, save you getting a remap first and getting cams then remapping again to get most from the cams.

Has anyone actually had a remap on their cars, am interested to hear feedback, Hi volicity remaps that is.

From what I hear second remaps with upgrades only cost a 10th of the original remap so not worried cost wise, a remap is only an arms length away where as a cam is more of a challenge trying to get one.

Like I say, i'm ready for more oomph now.

it sounds to me like youve already made up your mind ;)

it sounds to me like youve already made up your mind ;)

Sort of becuase it's only four hours drive away....

Talk to Gavin, as far as I know some of the E36 m3s in the race series have made good gains just with a remap, Gav will let you know if it's worth it.

Thanks David, will contact Gavin.

There's people closer to you that can do a remap with pretty good pedigrees behind them, im working with someone that i cant mention to start doing remapping BMW's in Auckland as ive seen a few done locally as such and wasn't to impressed with the minimal gains you need to remember remapping/reflash is one of the easiest things to do after all the factory did all the hard work for you all that happens is a few tweaks here and there and off you go.

I use to do tons of it years ago using an emulator which worked well just time consuming finding the maps as for your 288 cams thats number doesnt mean a lot what happens at .010 .050 .100 .200 tells what it can do im currently having cams done for M42 and M50 which i must put a video up on my Facebook of an e30 running a m50 using them sounds nasty at idle and runs well past 8k without float.

There's people closer to you that can do a remap with pretty good pedigrees behind them, im working with someone that i cant mention to start doing remapping BMW's in Auckland as ive seen a few done locally as such and wasn't to impressed with the minimal gains you need to remember remapping/reflash is one of the easiest things to do after all the factory did all the hard work for you all that happens is a few tweaks here and there and off you go.

I use to do tons of it years ago using an emulator which worked well just time consuming finding the maps as for your 288 cams thats number doesnt mean a lot what happens at .010 .050 .100 .200 tells what it can do im currently having cams done for M42 and M50 which i must put a video up on my Facebook of an e30 running a m50 using them sounds nasty at idle and runs well past 8k without float.

I mentioned Gavin as there seems to be a number of people here that have used him, not that they've said much here. Seems to have a good rep. There is a business in Napier RWC that does remapping but would like someone who knows BMWs.

As for the schick cam, was after experience from users, as said, Nasty has one in his E36, Mark (1rotty) has one in his 328 E30 that has a nice growl and goes like a cut cat.

I mentioned Gavin as there seems to be a number of people here that have used him, not that they've said much here. Seems to have a good rep. There is a business in Napier RWC that does remapping but would like someone who knows BMWs.

As for the schick cam, was after experience from users, as said, Nasty has one in his E36, Mark (1rotty) has one in his 328 E30 that has a nice growl and goes like a cut cat.

WRC developments use mitsi based stuff only as far as i was aware try dave@Dtech tauranga hes one of my very good customers see what he may have he also tunes all the V8 super tourers

Will contact Dave also. Thanks Steve.

Have emailed both Dave and Gavin to which no reply?