Sign in to follow this  
speedyg

E39 vanos solenoid removal

I am wanting to remove the exhaust side vanos solenoid to check it's operation, I suspect the solenoid is ok but the piston it pushes is jammed, hence the "68/B8 - Exhaust camshaft, VANOS end position not reached, adaptation value outside tolerance" fault code I am getting.

Does anyone have a 32mm or 1'1/4" tube/box spanner I could borrow or know where I could get one? I have been just about everywhere I can think of in Chch and no one has got one or is keen to order me in one. Apparently plumbers use them a bit.

post-362-1351671404.jpg

Have you tried Super cheep bought a 30mm tube socket on Sunday for $9.98

You already did the seals didn't you?

The solenoids have a gauze filter in that could be blocked.

Yeah, I have done the seals, but the car is still gutless under 3000rpm, so it sounds like the solenoid piston getting jammed is pretty common. Should be a quick and easy job too if I can find the appropriate tool. Supercheap didn't have any tube spanners. Might have to make one!

You can make one, just cut the 32mm socket in half and extend it, I believe that's what we use, or go to your nearest dealership and ask to borrow for half an hour for a box of beers, works for us.