Sign in to follow this  
Venatus

M50B25 e30 cooling system issues

Hi guys,

Thought Id finally ask some pertinent questions on here as Ive now no idea what Im doing.

The cars had an m50b25NV swap using a g260 gearbox. It also has no heater connected as thats screwed too amongst other things :/

(Recently stuffed that gearbox (3rd on now haha) and the new gearbox I got is a lot smoother and quieter than any of the other ones, so I was quite happy with that. Nearly got WoF but more problems have now arisen)

So after putting in a new gearbox, a couple of oils seals it needed etc, and possibly more relatively a NEW Thermostat, it has run happily for about a week.

Then, driving to pick up some headlights for the WoF (turns out my smileys both have L marked on them, and they failed it on Left hand beam pattern being tilted) it overheated.

Every time I try to bleed it now, temp gets to normal, but the expansion tank starts boiling back or just not dropping like it should. Ive tried my usual method of ramming water into the tank with the bleed screw out till no more air bubbles come out, then start it up, expansion tank drops maybe an inch, then starts slowly coming back up or just sitting there, and eventually boils.

Dropped the oil, no sign of water. Theres a few droplets of water spitting out the exhaust. Havent seen any oil come back into the water either. Underside of the cap looks ok too.

Im obviously suspecting headgasket/cracked head, but, yeah. I dont have the special tool that bentley reckons you need to pull the head on these (Long reach thin walled E12 i think) but obviously its easy enough to make it thin walled with the grinder (Just like that pesky gearbox output flange socket) but im just asking if anyone that knows what theyre doing has any ideas, or if I should just leave it and pick up another engine and chuck that in instead.

Cheers,

Bradd

Jack up the front of the car and try bleeding it again. Otherwise get a TK test done.

The powerbuilt e-torx sockets work for removing the head.

Probably should have also mentioned ive tried the old jack it up and bleed it trick, been done about 6 times now :(

Just the shorty kit ones? (e-torx)

Edited by Ven