Sign in to follow this  
tobytoblerone

Advice on buying a new bimmer.

So I'm looking at buying the current shape F01 7 series... A 750Li to be exact and have found several examples on ebay.co.uk that I am keen on. The price of them over there is about half the price of a used one here, I was just wondering how do I get it into the country? Do I have to live and own the vehicle in the UK before I can ship it over? (I probably won't do this lol).

If it's not possible then I'm just going to get a low-end spec 730D F01 7 series... any help/suggestions needed! especially if you have experience in this area as I have none!

Cheers

If it's not possible then I'm just going to get a low-end spec 730D F01 7 series... any help/suggestions needed! especially if you have experience in this area as I have none!

Lots of threads on here about bringing cars in from the Uk, shipping, VAT, etc. have a search.

There has just been a facelift, sorry Life Cycle Impulse (LCI) on the F01 so you might want to check if these are pre-LCI models, might be why they are so cheap.

It might be worth re-considering which model you bring in as well, a "low-end spec" 7 is hard to shift, even as a used car, and will really badly affect the resale value. A few more pounds to get a better spec model may pay back overtime (and give you a better car to enjoy). There will be lots of ex-govt 730Ld kicking around in a while as well.

There will be lots of ex-govt 730Ld kicking around in a while as well.

most of those went through Turners about April or so

most of those went through Turners about April or so

and some(most) of them were repaced with new ones so there WILL be another batch

Lots of threads on here about bringing cars in from the Uk, shipping, VAT, etc. have a search.

There has just been a facelift, sorry Life Cycle Impulse (LCI) on the F01 so you might want to check if these are pre-LCI models, might be why they are so cheap.

It might be worth re-considering which model you bring in as well, a "low-end spec" 7 is hard to shift, even as a used car, and will really badly affect the resale value. A few more pounds to get a better spec model may pay back overtime (and give you a better car to enjoy). There will be lots of ex-govt 730Ld kicking around in a while as well.

A 750Li is upwards of $130,00+ for a 2009 model. In the UK a comparable model with loads more options is $60K+ upwards.

I meant I would only buy a low-end spec 7 I would buy here in NZ as a last resort if I wasnt able to purchase a 750Li in the UK as a 730D F01 here are about $59K+ But hey, it's a 7 series and the standard spec is already very high compared to any car/BMW. (have owned many 7ers). So I'm fine with a standard spec 7 series, not fussed about $ or re-sale value. I never buy a vehicle with resale value in mind as I usually upgrade within a year.

I'd have my money on a ex govt. 730d if I was buying a 7. They've been serviced, most probably never thrashed and always kept tidy & NZ New with history! You'll also find them a heck of a lot cheaper to run than a 750i

I meant I would only buy a low-end spec 7 I would buy here in NZ as a last resort if I wasnt able to purchase a 750Li in the UK as a 730D F01 here are about $59K+ But hey, it's a 7 series and the standard spec is already very high compared to any car/BMW. (have owned many 7ers). So I'm fine with a standard spec 7 series, not fussed about $ or re-sale value. I never buy a vehicle with resale value in mind as I usually upgrade within a year.

Ah, ok didn't read your original post quite right! I would have thought that selling on a vehicle within a year would have made the re-sale more important, doing it on such a short term, if you're happy then not an issue.

If you're looking around 2009 then LCI won't be an issue the change was much later on. There is a pretty significant difference on the "standard" spec features between 730d and 750i models (in NZ certainly), but the 730d could be optioned up to the same level.

Good luck with finding a new 7!

And yes, there are is whole second batch of Govt. cars in use at the moment which will come to market in the reasonably near future - I think they are all F02, LWB versions though, I know at least some are. You could sit in the back and get the wife / kids to drive?? B)

Ah, ok didn't read your original post quite right! I would have thought that selling on a vehicle within a year would have made the re-sale more important, doing it on such a short term, if you're happy then not an issue.

If you're looking around 2009 then LCI won't be an issue the change was much later on. There is a pretty significant difference on the "standard" spec features between 730d and 750i models (in NZ certainly), but the 730d could be optioned up to the same level.

Good luck with finding a new 7!

And yes, there are is whole second batch of Govt. cars in use at the moment which will come to market in the reasonably near future - I think they are all F02, LWB versions though, I know at least some are. You could sit in the back and get the wife / kids to drive?? B)

I can help you with getting a UK car, a GT has 5 series is built on the 7 series chassis

I want a 7 series, most definitely not a 5 series and especially the GT. if you can source me a cheap UK 7 I would be happy!

I want a 7 series, most definitely not a 5 series and especially the GT. if you can source me a cheap UK 7 I would be happy!

I can help you do it yourself, I have imported 5 cars, quite simple, a 7 series ex UK will be about half the price they are here.

I can help you do it yourself, I have imported 5 cars, quite simple, a 7 series ex UK will be about half the price they are here.

How about 335i's? Is it better to import one of them from UK also?