Sign in to follow this  
oragno

E46 Air Bag Light

Hey Guys,

So I purchased my first BMW this year. A '99 E46. About a month ago the air bag light has come, and I've got a warrant due at the moment.

I've been reading a few posts from around the web, and sounds like this is a pretty common issue with these cars.

I hear that it can be rest if you have the right tools, and I'm wondering if anyone in the Palmerston North area may be able to help me out here to get it sorted?

Any help would be much appreciated

Steve

Hey Guys,

So I purchased my first BMW this year. A '99 E46. About a month ago the air bag light has come, and I've got a warrant due at the moment.

I've been reading a few posts from around the web, and sounds like this is a pretty common issue with these cars.

I hear that it can be rest if you have the right tools, and I'm wondering if anyone in the Palmerston North area may be able to help me out here to get it sorted?

Any help would be much appreciated

Steve

Same thing happened on my E39. Reset worked the first time but the sensor soon needed replacing. Find someone with a scanner to reset the fault but keep your eye open for a cheap new sensor if I were you.

The passenger seat sensors in the E46 and E39 are pretty sensitive and get damaged easily if you kneel (or in the case of my car, your 4 year old stands) on the seat.

Allegedly, if the sensor is faulty the passenger airbag will deploy by default in accident so some people bypass the sensor to get rid of the fault but I wouldn't want to chance it personally. Get a new sensor.

Edited by jeffbebe

Allegedly, if the sensor is faulty the passenger airbag will deploy by default in accident so some people bypass the sensor to get rid of the fault but I wouldn't want to chance it personally. Get a new sensor.

I've yet to see that proven. Why is it that a BMW crashed with only one person in it, all the airbags don't go off by default ??

The fault should be repaired properly and not fooled around with

I've yet to see that proven. Why is it that a BMW crashed with only one person in it, all the airbags don't go off by default ??

I'm assuming with a working sensor only the airbags only deploy in the occupied seats. I think the assumption is that if the sensor's broken the car assumes there is someone in the seat and deploys the airbag in the event of a crash.

But I totally agree with you. Get it fixed - I wouldn't want to risk it.

I'm assuming with a working sensor only the airbags only deploy in the occupied seats. I think the assumption is that if the sensor's broken the car assumes there is someone in the seat and deploys the airbag in the event of a crash.

This has been brought up time & time again. I have never seen or read any proof of this occuring. It's a myth as far as I'm concerned. It's also not legal in this country to tamper with a SRS or ABS safety features on a motor vehicle. All repairs must be in accordance with the manufacturers specifications

When the black 328 was rear ended the drivers bag only deployed. Every other bag was intact.

Was a rear ender though.

It's also not legal in this country to tamper with a SRS or ABS safety features on a motor vehicle. All repairs must be in accordance with the manufacturers specifications

This is still applicable though.

To be honest it's a car that pretty much gets me to work and back, so really I'm the only person in it.

But can appreciate all your comments in regards to being a safety feature and not to meddle with it.

Any ideas on how much this sort of thing is worth to fix?

It'd be nice if my first experience fixing a BMW didn't cost too much haha

Tks again

To be honest it's a car that pretty much gets me to work and back, so really I'm the only person in it.

But can appreciate all your comments in regards to being a safety feature and not to meddle with it.

Any ideas on how much this sort of thing is worth to fix?

It'd be nice if my first experience fixing a BMW didn't cost too much haha

Tks again

You need to get it scanned first to determine the actual fault before you start pricing things.

It could be:

Control unit

Squib ring

Retractor or retractor wiring loom

Passengers occupancy sensor

Just to name a few of the most common faults..... there are others