Sign in to follow this  
qube

e39 front shock absorbers replacement

i got a quote for $900 to replace the two front shocks to monroe on a 1999 528i..

is this reasonable?

its including all parts, labour and wheel alignment.

i got a quote for $900 to replace the two front shocks to monroe on a 1999 528i..

is this reasonable?

Nice....I would like to know how you get on if you can keep us informed, im looking at doing my front struts on my e39 touring :).... theyre making a clunking noise and its so annoying while cruising!

Will be getting quotes over the weekend....

FYI - i started a similair thred below this :P

Edited by explisick

I think you will regret putting Munroes in, they're a horrible shock. I dont know who else stock Boge but id give SAS a call (09) 444 1390 as see what some boge shocks would cost you if you want an OEM ride.

They gave a real good deal on Boge's for my E38 which ending up being cheaper than getting them overseas and way cheaper than some KYB's i was pricing up locally.

is this reasonable?

sounds like normal full retail. :D

Why not go a b12 kit - i got a price of about 1400 +GST + install

thats Eibach springs, Bilstein shocks and approx 40mm drop.

from here:

Simon Loveridge | SPEED NZ Limited

36 Newton street, Mount Maunganui, Tauranga, 3149, New Zealand

Freecall 0508 2 SPEED (77333)

Price up OEM type shocks at Milland.co.nz. My m-tech ones were very reasonable, and they aren't difficult to fit.

The Monroes are steel bodied (they were anyway) and the OEMs are aluminium - they are very light for such a big shock. Fitting only takes a couple of hours per side max (way faster in a workshop where 2 year olds haven't hidden half the tools).

The same shop could fit the OEM type ones for you, probably.

Nice....I would like to know how you get on if you can keep us informed, im looking at doing my front struts on my e39 touring :).... theyre making a clunking noise and its so annoying while cruising!

That noise may just be the sway bar drop links - VERY common on E39's, and very cheap/easy to fix.

That noise may just be the sway bar drop links - VERY common on E39's, and very cheap/easy to fix.

Thanks Allan, ill jack up the car and have a look around the end links and bushings once home :) Noise is driving me nuts!!

Maybe Mr Milland would like to drop in on this conversation and provide some costs on OEM replacement and if possible some BOGE replacements?

On that note why do people bag Monroes? Is it the ride or build quality or both?

Edited by explisick

On that note why do people bag Monroes? Is it the ride or build quality or both?

I haven't used them on an e39, but they were OK on my Suzuki Wagon R turbo. I'd just be concerned about the weight added. Lower unsprung weight helps with traction and feel.

Milland quotes $530 for a pair of Monroe reflex

Sas quoted $480 each for boge

Team mc millan quoted $525 each for boge

Hmmm

Ended up getting them done at the first place I went. Cost $940 incl gst which was for

Monroe reflex shocks front pair

4 hours labour

Top hats for both shocks

Had the arm bushings replaced

Wheel alignment

Car drives really good. It seems much more stiff than standard. Similar to my msport ones.

Indeed. E34 KYB valving is pretty firm like Bilstein HD rather than oem boges but they arent floaty and harsh like Monroes.

Any new shock going to feel better than worn ones obviously but in my experience only replacing fronts or backs with a new condition shock and\or brand shows up the other end

Unfortunately what's been done is done.

I have driven the car a bit more and I can see why these shocks are not so great.

It's very harsh but regardless, given the condition the previous ones were in and the fact that there were not a lot of places available to do the job before Xmas, we went ahead with this one.