Sign in to follow this  
RhoanW

Can you interpret these codes?

I used a generic scan reader to scan my car earlier (2002 E39 530i) and got the following codes but I'm not sure about the last two:

227 Fuel trim bank 2, permissable range exceeded

228 Fuel trim bank 1, permissable range exceeded

14 valve-relay fault

15 return pump fault

Which valve relay and pump is it referring to? I have an idea that the fuel trim is telling me that it iseither running too lean or rich but not familar with the other two. Any help would be appreciated.

Try googling this:

BMW fault code 14 & 15

It maybe your scanner. Did you clear the codes, road test and recheck after the ECL came on ?

Different scanners interpret codes differently most of the time.. especially the written faults

What check light is coming on and what are your concerns over drive ability ?

Edited by *Glenn*

I used a generic scan reader to scan my car earlier (2002 E39 530i) and got the following codes but I'm not sure about the last two:

The first two are liekly related to a vacuum leak on the intake (probably the rubber boot) if they are for a lean condition.

The last two don't help much - You can buy scanners really cheap, that are BMW specific and usually give better codes/descriptions.

The first two are liekly related to a vacuum leak on the intake (probably the rubber boot) if they are for a lean condition.

Not necessarily.. the codes are the result of an non metered fault which is causing the engine to either run too rich or too lean:

Air leaks can be one of them

Others:

Fuel pressure regulator

Fuel pressure or fuel flow

MAF sensor- won't always throw a fault code

Blocked cats

PCV valve

BTW: All scanners need an accessory besides the user manual which doesn't come supplied... a brain and automotive technical knowledge

Edited by *Glenn*

Hey Glenn yes I did clear them and did a road test. The ECL did not come back so probably I should re-scan tomorrow and see what it says. The only light that was on was the one that resembles an engine. The car was feeling sluggish and seemed to be using a bit more fuel than normal.

Try googling this:

BMW fault code 14 & 15

It maybe your scanner. Did you clear the codes, road test and recheck after the ECL came on ?

Different scanners interpret codes differently most of the time.. especially the written faults

What check light is coming on and what are your concerns over drive ability ?

Ok Glenn I will start checking those things you have listed, thank you!

Not necessarily.. the codes are the result of an non metered fault which is causing the engine to either run too rich or too lean:

Air leaks can be one of them

Others:

Fuel pressure regulator

Fuel pressure or fuel flow

MAF sensor- won't always throw a fault code

Blocked cats

PCV valve

BTW: All scanners need an accessory besides the user manual which doesn't come supplied... a brain and automotive technical knowledge

Edited by *Glenn*

On another unrelated fault can the auxillary fan just fail? I don't think mine is spinning anymore.

Ok Glenn I will start checking those things you have listed, thank you!

QUOTE" The only light that was on was the one that resembles an engine"

ECL= engine check light

Where are you located ?

Edited by *Glenn*

No where near to you unfortunately; I am in Jamaica. The symbol that is on is Deterioration of engine exhaust emission control values according to the manual.

QUOTE" The only light that was on was the one that resembles an engine"

ECL= engine check light

Where are you located ?