Sign in to follow this  
tobester

Best place for Getrag gearbox work?

The manual box in my E28 is very notchy. Got the oil changed af the last service, but it hasn't loosened up like I was hoping.

Who's the best in Auckland to tweak it?

kayne barrie motorsports

in silverdale.

have you done all the bushes in the gear linkages first???

what oil did you use??

kayne barrie motorsports

in silverdale.

have you done all the bushes in the gear linkages first???

what oil did you use??

Already had the new oil in it for a couple of months when you last played with it Brent. I'll look up and post what it was that went in.

I haven't done the bushes yet. It could just be that simple.

Edited by Polax

Already had the new oil in it for a couple of months when you last played with it Brent. I'll look up and post what it was that went in.

I haven't done the bushes yet. It could just be that simple.

BM Workshop put in 2 unit of Syntrax 75W-90 Full Synthetic GL5 according to the invoice.

Hi,

I would pay to do some homework on this first, it might be for example that it should have ATF oil in and changing it to a thinner oil will make a big difference and fix the problem.

Dave.

Hi,

I would pay to do some homework on this first, it might be for example that it should have ATF oil in and changing it to a thinner oil will make a big difference and fix the problem.

Dave.

We use either G3 full synthetic or 75w80 Synthese Full synthetic for harder use--- all Elf products with no issues

I may be wrong, but my 2nd gear (e30 g260)doesnt crunch when first taking off for the first few changes anymore since i've done the master and slave cylinder...used to crunch all the time.... could be warmer weather now affecting the oil though.

Hi,

Dave.

Plenty about using Redline MTL online. Hype or no?

I also note this from http://www.m535i.org/e28info.html, who seem to know their @#$% in a slightly paranoid way:

"- The Getrag 5-speed should enter all gears smoothly - they are not especially prone to synchro failure in normal operation (i.e. not auto-x'd) but most are 'notchy', kinda hard to push into gear, especially when rev's not synched, but easily improved by putting in Redline MTL tranny oil."

Also plenty about 3 variants of the 260 with different stickers on them taking different fluids? Going to read the sticker on the side of mine and post back.

Brent's did shift way like butter in comparison, so I tend to favour the bushes approach. Brent, if you're out there, which are the most important bushes to do? Pelican Parts seem to have a tonne listed.

Edited by Polax

Posted Image

mainly part 2 and 6

but all the washers need to be there 14 and 11

but also part 6 and check of the is any slop in the shafts where part 10 goes into .

you could just do the lot and fit a e36 gearlever while you are at it to shorten the shift up etc

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E28/Seda...ifting_parts-2/

BM Workshop put in 2 unit of Syntrax 75W-90 Full Synthetic GL5 according to the invoice.

OK, so id'd my Getrag 260 as a no sticker internal hex nut type and changed the gearbox oil for some Redline MTL, which is a 70W-80 GL4 a couple of days ago. Shifting is much improved, doesn't feel like the stick is under pressure any more, but could be better.

Next for some shift linkages. Looking at this;

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=68339

and this;

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticl...ft_Bushings.htm

in addition to Brent links for those interested

Edited by Polax

Ordered bits to do mine sometime but opted to get the bits individually. Didnt order parts 1,4 and 6 but got the rest

Posted Image

fit a e36 gearlever while you are at it to shorten the shift up etc

Hijack/

Tell me more, I've always wanted to do this but never found a definite answer to what shifter to use in an e28

Hijack/

Tell me more, I've always wanted to do this but never found a definite answer to what shifter to use in an e28

i have a e36 328i same as 3L m3 type in my e28 , you can use a std e36 318i 320i 323i 325i type .

or go to the z3 or z3 M type , for a really short shift??

maybe ok .

i have new Z3M shifters in stock

That's good to know, cheers. I wouldn't go for the z3s, an e28 wouldn't be the same without a bit or travel through the gears.

Back on topic. My Getrag never likes clicking into 4th, most of the time I go 3rd to 5th. 2nd is always hard to change to when cold and it baisicly says no to down shifts unless I rev match. all these problems ad character.

I use castrol VMX 80 and it seems to work just as good as whatever I drained out of there.

Went and saw Kayne the other day. Very knowledgable man. Taught me a lot in short time. His diagnosis is that the 260 in my E28 is about par for that particular variant and the short shifter means unless I ask him to subtly ease the detentes that hold the shifter in gear then the shift effort is what it is.

Minor bugger because I have already ordered all the bushings for the shift linkage. Will probably fit them up anyway though I'm playing with the idea of refitting a standard shifter to save my not so big wife's arm. Understand the stock throw is a bit like rowing a boat. Opinions?

go for something in between , like a e36 318i shifter etc

go for something in between , like a e36 318i shifter etc

What do you think was in it when you saw it Brent? If I remember rightly it was a BMW one of some sort.

What do you think was in it when you saw it Brent? If I remember rightly it was a BMW one of some sort.

dont remember. was it std or some z3 one etc??

dont remember. was it std or some z3 one etc??

Definitely not std. Guess I'll just have to try playing 'spot the part number' tonight.