Sign in to follow this  
kento

1990 B12 5.0 Alpina

Thanks for the engine advice chaps. If it doesn't turn over easy enuf we will pull the whole engine out & take it to bits so I know what parts I am going to need. I think my mechanic mentioned something about a scope that you put thru the spark plug holes to check out the cylinder walls? My mechanical knowledge is not great but no doubt will improve with this project!!

Hey Kento,

I know this reply is well out of date in relation to the last time there was any discussion about your car, don't know how far down the track of rebuilding the engine you are, but the following info may help.

I was the guy who was looking at the car also, had my mechanic out to look at it, we could get about a 1/4 turn out of the crank one way, but trying to turn it over by crank just resulted in a very metalic clunk, the engine whilst not seized completely solid was well and truely seized, I don't think any amount of lubrication or kero would solve this one, my mech. felt it was quite possibly a snapped conrod or crank issue, value his opinion as he builds his own race vehicles, came second in the NZ v8 series last year, knows his onions.

Anyway hope the rebuild is taking shape, if you are ever thinking of parting with it let me know, also be keen to catch up with other bmw guys down here as I have just moved to Christchurch

Cheers Grant